cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Downloading big file from a shared folder

Downloading big file from a shared folder

vbess
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

A person shared a folder with me with multiple files ~45GB each. When I try to download any of the files, they stop at ~15GB. Chrome doesn't give any errors, it shows the download as complete, Firefox shows a failed download. I tried to clear the cache, that didn't help. I tried to save one of the files to my account and download from there but the result is the same. I am on the basic plan so once I add the file to my Dropbox, the sync stops so I can't try to download the file using the desktop app rather than the web version. I tried from my work laptop and my personal one but it still fails (although on personal fails at 4-5GB instead of 15GB).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vbess
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

I couldn't check the file via opening because it's not a standard file extension and it's a bit tricky to do it on a normal PC. I ended up switching to a paid plan to be able to sync larger files from the Dropbox desktop app and that worked.

Thank you,

Victoria

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @vbess, and welcome to the forum. 

In general, please keep in mind that thereā€™s a 20GB size limit when downloading content from the Dropbox website, so your web browser may time out if you try to download a bigger file/folder.

You mention that your Chrome browser shows the download as complete. When opening the downloaded file, is there a part of it missing? 

Also, can you please go to this page and send me a screenshot of what you see there?

Let me know when youā€™re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vbess
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Nancy,

I couldn't check the file via opening because it's not a standard file extension and it's a bit tricky to do it on a normal PC. I ended up switching to a paid plan to be able to sync larger files from the Dropbox desktop app and that worked.

Thank you,

Victoria

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

vbess Helpful | Level 5
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?