cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox won't save or download Excel file as PDF

Dropbox won't save or download Excel file as PDF

Amy_S
Explorer | Level 4

I used to be able to easily convert my Word and Excel files in Dropbox to PDFs using the Export or Print functions. Although it is still working for Word docs, it is not working for Excel files.  It lets me go through the steps using the Export or Print functions, but when I click "Download" that dialog box goes away but nothing has been download.  If I try just going to the three ellipsis next to the file name, Save As > PDF is no longer visible as an option for my Excel docs even though it still is for my Word docs.  I know I can download the actual .xlsx file, convert it to a PDF and then re-upload it to Dropbox, but I would to be able to do it within Dropbox like I used to.  Thank you for any help on this

18 Replies 18

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Amy_S, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What device are you currently using to try to export the files? 

What version of the OS and the Dropbox app are you running?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Amy_S
Explorer | Level 4

I am using a MacBook laptop with OS Monterey 12.6.5 and I am accessing Dropbox via Dropbox.com using the Chrome browser. My colleague was sitting next to me on a Windows device today and having the exact same problem. I don't know what software she is using, but she was accessing Dropbox via an internet browser as well.

Amy_S
Explorer | Level 4

I am using a MacBook laptop with OS Monterey 12.6.5 and I am accessing Dropbox via Dropbox.com using the Chrome browser. My colleague was sitting next to me on a Windows device today and having the exact same problem. I don't know what software she is using, but she was accessing Dropbox via an internet browser as well.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you clarify how you were exporting the file to convert it to PDF?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Amy_S
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, I go to Dropbox.com using Chrome browser, & open the Excel file and select the section I want to save by dragging curser to highlight that area.  I’ve used two ways from here (1) File>Print>Show Print Friendly View> change “My local printer” to “Download as PDF” which turns Print button to a Download button.  After hitting the Download button the print dialog box disappears and I’m back at my spreadsheet, but no file has been downloaded. (2) File>Export>Download as PDF>Export bar appears on right side with “Download” button at top, but same thing happens as above — I press download, am taken back to my spreadsheet, but nothing has been downloaded. Thank you for your help.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Amy_S, and sorry for jumping in. 

At the moment, it isn’t possible to convert .xlsx files to PDFs directly via the Dropbox website. For more details, you can also check this Help Center article. This link contains all the filetypes that you can currently convert to a PDF file. 

If I’ve misunderstood something though, please let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Active_Hedge
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue it is quite frustrating, is Dropbox planning on bringing that feature back?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Active_Hedge, could you let us know some additional information about the issue you're having so that we can assist further? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

rbtbar
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    CRG1 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    FRESKO New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff