cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My video file keeps freezing when I stream it

My video file keeps freezing when I stream it

dcamod
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello there, I am testing out streaming small video files and I noticed the largest file (65mb) freezes randomly after about being halfway over. The video file is an mp4 recorded at 720p I believe. It is a shared file if you have the link but I am the only one accessing it right now. It is being streamed directly, not downloaded. I saw an older thread about this but it is closed so I opened a new one. I have only a basic account for now because, as I said, I was testing. Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dcamod
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
The browser was shut down and the cache was cleared before I started it initially. The second time I tried it was the morning after the freezing. I made sure to clear the cache before attempting to view again. I did not restart in the middle of viewing.

As for the application issue, I changed the encoding to H.264 and optimized for web in Handbrake. The video streams now, but is still slow, with pauses here and there. I am under the impression this is due to the video player in Unity being slow. So the good news for you, is that this has nothing to do with you guys and the issue was with Unity. The bad news for me, is that the issue has to do with Unity 😅.
I am not sure what the issue with Chrome was, perhaps I lost connection to the internet? I only reported on here because I seemed to have an issue with the browser and Unity at the same time. It appears to just be coincidence though. Cheers and thanks for the help. Unless you have any other inquiries for me I believe this can be marked as solved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @dcamod, I hope you're having a good day so far!

Just so I can have a better idea of what's occurring here, can you let me know where you're streaming the video? Are you viewing it from the shared link you created, or directly from your account?

Also, would this be through a web browser or the mobile app?

Let me know and we can take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dcamod
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
It is from a shared link with the end of the URL set to 1. I have tried streaming through chrome and a mobile app made with Unity. The mobile app uses webclient instead of httpclient but the video is not working in chrome either so I'm unsure whether or not that helps.

Quick edit. The video is now working in chrome but not in the application. I am just going to chalk that up to a strange coincidence. The mobile app, however still does not work.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @dcamod!

Apologies for being a bit vague, I was referring to the Dropbox mobile app rather than a third party app. If you open a shared link through the web browser on your mobile, it should give you a prompt to "View in app".

Since it appears to be working now through the website, perhaps it was related to a caching issue. Did you close the browser and restart it at any point?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dcamod
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
The browser was shut down and the cache was cleared before I started it initially. The second time I tried it was the morning after the freezing. I made sure to clear the cache before attempting to view again. I did not restart in the middle of viewing.

As for the application issue, I changed the encoding to H.264 and optimized for web in Handbrake. The video streams now, but is still slow, with pauses here and there. I am under the impression this is due to the video player in Unity being slow. So the good news for you, is that this has nothing to do with you guys and the issue was with Unity. The bad news for me, is that the issue has to do with Unity 😅.
I am not sure what the issue with Chrome was, perhaps I lost connection to the internet? I only reported on here because I seemed to have an issue with the browser and Unity at the same time. It appears to just be coincidence though. Cheers and thanks for the help. Unless you have any other inquiries for me I believe this can be marked as solved.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That was a bit of a coincidence indeed @dcamod!

In that case then, I'm not sure that there is much more we can look into here if it appears to be working fine through the website now.

It might be something that's worth reaching out to Unity Support for if you stream videos through the app regularly, perhaps they can provide you some more insight on this.

If there's anything else that I can help with in the meantime though, please do let me know. :grin:

I hope you have a great day ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    dcamod Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?