cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync icons missing in the Dropbox folder in Finder

Sync icons missing in the Dropbox folder in Finder

weiskott
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I recently had a new work desktop (Mac) deployed. While all my downloaded Dropbox files were successfully transferred, there are now no sync icons next to Dropbox files in Finder. I have never had this issue before. The files are showing up as synced in the taskbar and online and across devices, but there are no green check icons in Finder.

Published solutions to this problem (uninstall / reinstall Dropbox; restart computer; force-quit Finder; check that OneDrive or other overlay programs are not running) have not worked for me. Help?? Programs running are Google Chrome and Microsoft Word. MacOS Monterey 12.3.1 / Dropbox v147.4.4800. I have the Basic plan.

65 Replies 65

Nick S.50
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I confirm the chosen solution works for me too. Thank you Megan!

I suspect that the culprit may be Adobe's Core Sync Helper - I am not using Adobe Cloud for file syncing (as I have Dropbox 😉) so I could safely disable it.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We can call that amazing news, can't we? @Nick S.50

Awesome! If you need anything else, you know where to find me. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Paul H.96
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Megan,

This solution brought the sync icons back, but they're wrong.  Specifically, if I have a folder with some files offline and other files online, that folder will show a cloud (all offline).

Screenshot attached.

Is there any way to know when folders have some files offline and some online without opening them up?  I have folders within folders within folders so opening them up is not a practical solution for me to know this.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.24.09 PM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Paul H.96

At the moment, there's no way to tell without opening the folder, but I'll pass this along to our team.

We appreciate your feedback about this and I'll make sure your comments are heard.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Paul H.96
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks you @Hannah for the quick and clear response!   The answer is disappointing so I hope they can resolve this soon.

According to Finder I have 116,293 items in my dropbox, well organized in a structure of folders within folders.  There's simply no way I can transverse that tree to see the sync status of all my individual files, I need it summarized at the folder level as in the past.

Peleela
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having this issue with both of my Dropbox accounts (personal and business). It only just started today when I was moving a lot of files, and I was getting the Finder message about duplicates. Then Dropbox quit unexpectedly. Now, I no longer see the Dropbox icons on my files, nor do I see any of the Finder Quick Actions. And, Dropbox continues to quit unexpectedly.

I have tried everything listed in this thread, in addition to other steps suggested in other threads. This includes:

- uninstall Dropbox, then reinstall

- double-check the System Preferences for Dropbox

- making sure the Finder Integration is checked

- force quit the Finder

- using Activity Selector to force quit all Dropbox processes, then start it up again, then relaunch the Finder

- I even turned off Adobe Core Sync Helper based on Nick S.50's comment

And then I read Walter's note about installing Dropbox on another newly created OS profile. It is working just fine on that other profile. I can also report that the files that I thought I had moved earlier today have not actually been moved. (So perhaps my Dropbox was having sync issues earlier than I realized, and then it crashed because what I was seeing and reality were totally out of sync.)

So far nothing has fixed the problem on my main profile, and Dropbox continues to quit unexpectedly about every 1-2 minutes so I just can't use it right now. I'm hoping someone here might have a suggestion for what I can do on my main OS profile to fix this. Let me know if any other info is needed.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Peleela, do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Peleela
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay, no I don't have any of that software installed.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Peleela, sorry to jump in here. 

The fact that the application gives an "unexpectedly quit" error, could potentially be caused by the very big move you were trying to make.

Has the app managed to finish syncing? Or is it quitting mid-sync?

When the app is open and running, what do you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Peleela
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When I open Dropbox it says "syncing..." and then shortly thereafter it says your "files are up to date". Awhile after that, it will crash.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kundrnik Helpful | Level 6
    yogini 56 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    JoeZL Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?