cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Save mp4 Files to iPhone

Unable to Save mp4 Files to iPhone

emiliec
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to download an mp4 file to my iPhone and get the error "Couldn't Save, Sorry, this type of video cannot be saved to this device."  I have removed the Dropbox app, restarted my phone and re-downloaded the app.  No luck.  I have also cleared the cash.  Still no luck.  Google has been no help.  I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue...please help 🙂  Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Apple wont allow it to happen. Its a restriction from them to stop copyright infringement. 

As far as I'm aware there is no workaround without jailbreaking etc. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

John Y.16
New member | Level 2

Is this something new from Apple?  We have been sending videos for years through Dropbox to people with Apple devices and this is the first time we have had this issue.  Is it just with the MP4 format or with all video formats?

emiliec
Explorer | Level 4

All video formats.  That was my first thought - change the video format to .mov.  I am really annoyed because Dropbox was the suggested delivery method through a videographer (I purchased their services for an event a few weekends ago).  They have yet to get back to me on this.  It's 2023 (almost 2024!) - you absolutely should have an iPhone friendly delivery method!  Particularly for these types of short video clips that we post to social media, send to friends, etc.  My husband found a work around, but when I tell you it took 3 hours, that is no exaggeration 🙂

emiliec
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you!  I appreciate knowing that I'm not missing some basic solution 🙂

emiliec
Explorer | Level 4

John, looking at your username, I think I purchased videos from you! 🙂  I think it's really lame that Dropbox doesn't offer a way to get these videos onto an iPhone.  

zacw
Dropbox Engineer

When the app tries to save an mp4 to the device's Photos library, Dropbox is told whether the video format is successful or not. This means that the mp4 that you're trying to save contains a video or audio stream that is not compatible with the Photos app, according to the system. If you want to share a link to the file in question, I can take a look at it to see what might be the reason for it, but beyond "yes or no" the app is not given much information about whether it works.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zacw Dropbox Engineer
    emiliec Explorer | Level 4
    John Y.16 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?