cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blurry pdf viewed from browser

blurry pdf viewed from browser

Sitaifun
Helpful | Level 5

I've had a pdf file stored on dropbox for years; it was perfectly clear, but now when viewed in the browser it is blurry, so much so that the text is not readable. It is clear when downloaded; the problem only occurs when viewed on dropbox in the browser. I found a similar thread from about 3 years ago (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Some-of-my-pdf-files-appear-blurry-when-I-m-vi...) and it seems that no resolution has been found. Any chance of a way to fix this?

60 Replies 60

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Sitaifun, welcome to our Community! 

Have you tried a different browser to try and preview the file there? If I were you, I'd also try either a different WiFi connection, or cellular data just to exclude that these might be interfering, and mess on how the file previews.

It's a good thing that the PDF looks as it should when you download it, because that means it hasn't been corrupt in any way.

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there.  

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sitaifun
Helpful | Level 5

Yes, I tried several browsers - Chrome and Brave on the Mac and Firefox on Windows. I use a hard-wired ethernet cable. But maybe my software is a bit out of date. You could try; here is the link - http://tiny.cc/castoroil4skin

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sitaifun, thanks for the speedy reply! 

Have you ensured your browsers are all up to date? 

If you could also send me a screenshot of what you see on your end when trying to preview the file, that'd be amazing. Just make sure to attach it to your next response. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

@Sitaifun wrote:

Yes, I tried several browsers - Chrome and Brave on the Mac and Firefox on Windows.

It definitely seems to be something on Dropbox's side during the conversion (remember, previews are just that, a transcoded preview of the original). Both the raw and downloaded files are fine. It only happens when viewed on the Dropbox preview page.

Bdenio
Helpful | Level 5

I am having the same problem. It doesn't matter what computer monitor or browser I use or if trying to view a small or large file. Zooming doesn't help either. This was never a problem before even when opening large drawing files. For me I noticed this problem just over the past year. Now to be able to see a file clearly I have to download a copy to my desktop or a zip file in order to read it clearly. As other users have said, this seems to be an issue on DropBox's side. I might have to find a different secure cloud storage system if this cannot be resolved which is unfortunate because I've subscribed to DropBox for many years. Would love to hear if others have figured out a solution!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Bdenio, I hope you're doing well! 

Could you send me a couple of screenshots, showing how some example files are previewed for you? It'll help me with the visual too.

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

TaMo
Helpful | Level 6

I have same problem as other users. It only happens with the Dropbox browser preview and only with longer files (1-2pagers work fine for me but ~4pages stay blurry). They are only ~460KB. Me using Win10, up-to-date Chrome browser, but files are shared with another person on Apple computer/Safari who is without blurry issue. If I choose the "Download" option and then select link on bottom of browser window, the file opens in a new browser tab and is completely clear. Likewise, if I choose the "Open in" option and select to connect an app, like smallpdf, it will open in a new browser tab and is completely clear. 

Next, I downloaded a "blurry" file to my computer, opened it in Adobe where it was clear, made edits, saved and uploaded new version to shared Dropbox folder. Clicking on file and opening in Dropbox browser preview resulted in blurry image again. 

Bdenio
Helpful | Level 5

Hi, the top image below is a snapshot when the file is downloaded and opened in Adobe Acrobat (looks much sharper than the image I pasted in here -- wasn't option to upload an image). The 2nd image is a snapshot of the same image when viewing directly from Dropbox. Considerably more blurry.

Bdenio_1-1670995120964.png

Bdenio_2-1670995189997.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TaMo, how are you today?

Have you tried multiple browsers, in order to preview your content? Do they all give you the same results? If you could send me a screenshot of how the file looks like when you try to preview it, that'd be amazing. 

Also, thank you for your screenshot @Bdenio! Do you notice this behavior just with this specific file, or multiple files? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sdonell Helpful | Level 6
    almendili Explorer | Level 4
    lynh_li New member | Level 2
    gwen6 New member | Level 2
    liz5869 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?