cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Context Menu (Including "Copy Dropbox Link") not Appearing in Explorer

Dropbox Context Menu (Including "Copy Dropbox Link") not Appearing in Explorer

mblatz01
Explorer | Level 3

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit, ver 22H2

Dropbox ver 173.4.6706

When I open up my Dropbox folder from DB desktop app (using folder icon in Dropbox panel displayed):

mblatz01_0-1683307630385.png

And then right-click on an item on left side of Explorer (the folder list), a complete Dropbox context menu is displayed:

mblatz01_1-1683307785457.png

But if I move cursor over to file pane and do same thing, there is no set of Dropbox related menu items:

mblatz01_2-1683307968808.png

So, for instance, I can't "Copy Dropbox Link" for an individual file...frustrating!  Any thoughts?

16 Replies 16

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mblatz01, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, by using this link, and then rebooting your device entirely?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mblatz01
Explorer | Level 3

Reinstall and reboot done as requested, using admin rights (not strictly necessary, I understand) and seemed to occur without issue?  (If there is an installation log that is human-readable, I'd review or send if you can point me to it)

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry for jumping in, @mblatz01!

Just to clarify; did reinstalling the Dropbox app resolve the issue you were having?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mblatz01
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay @Nancy   Sorry for the delay responding (I didn't receive an email notification for some reason?)...no, it did not.  Exact same behavior (links presented for folders, not for files) still persists.

And, if it is diagnostically meaningful, the Dropbox app window that appears in corner when I click on QuickLaunch icon also has the "link" icon presenter to right of list of recent files and etc. grayed out/not usable.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @mblatz01

Can you send one extra screenshot of the “link icon” that you mention, so that I can have a visual? 

Also, did you recently upgrade your Windows OS (right before this issue occurred) or not really?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mblatz01
Explorer | Level 3

re: O/S, no, not a major upgrade.  Of course, Windoze more or less does whatever it wants re: weekly or monthly fixes/patches/releases.  But to be fair, I am not really sure when I lost the DB file level "create link" functionality.  And, to be clear, I can get a link if I got to Dropbox on the web and login, it's just a PitA.

The "link icon" I referred to is the middle one when a line item in the app panel is hovered over (the first and second are disabled/grayed out, the third (the ellipsis) is active:

mblatz01_0-1684270888282.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mblatz01, thanks for the details! 

Keep in mind that his issue may be related to other applications on your computer that use the icon overlay and context menu functionality of your OS.

As you are on Windows, please note that it has a limit of 15 overlay icons that Windows Explorer can load, and the operating system reserves 4 for its own use. If there are more than 15 (which would mean the Google Drive icons), then the Dropbox icons or context menus may not show.

To fix this and move the Dropbox sync icons to the first 15 positions: 

• Follow the steps in the following article to open your Windows 10 registry editor (applicable to Windows 11 also):- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-open-registry-editor-in-windows-10-deab38e6-91d6-...
  • A “Registry Editor” window will open.
  • Navigate through the following folders: “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” > “SOFTWARE” > “Microsoft” > “Windows” > “CurrentVersion” > “Explorer” > “ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers”.
  • Rename (right-click and click Rename) the files, so that the Dropbox files appear in the first 15 files in the list. You can do this by putting spaces in front of those file names, so that they move higher up in the list.
  • Close and restart both of your computer and the Dropbox desktop app.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

mblatz01
Explorer | Level 3

I'll see if this makes sense...hard to see how it can work for folders but not files, but I'll check it out.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

If you could give it a go, and let us know that'd be amazing @mblatz01!

If this doesn't work, we're here to try out the next steps. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mblatz01 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?