cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox driver not signed on windows 7

Dropbox driver not signed on windows 7

intelcorei7gaming
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

when I try to sign into Dropbox on windows 7 I get driver error

IMG_0040.jpeg
can someone help me with this? thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

There is no issue with the Dropbox digital signature. That Windows warning message appears when trying to load drivers signed with a SHA-2 signature on older versions of Windows which only support SHA-1 signatures. Microsoft deprecated SHA-1 signatures in 2019. During the transition period from SHA-1 to SHA-2 Dropbox used to sign their driver with both SHA-1 and SHA-2 signatures, but now only sign with SHA-2.

The good news is support for SHA-2 signatures can be added to Windows 7 SP1 by installing KB3033929. Doing that should fix the issue.

Hope this helps,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @intelcorei7gaming, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you running Windows 7 with SP1 installed on it?

Could you try reinstalling the app, without uninstalling it first, using this link?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

I just got this message too almost a year later.   I didn't just sign in.  I wasn't even at my computer!     

I stay signed in with my desktop app as me.  I am always signed in to my work's dropbox.com via Chrome.   No new signins or installations occurred.  Why would I get this popup box out of the blue?  

Not comfortable reinstalling something that appears to be working fine in both contexts.

Does the desktop version automatically update itself?  My  system icon tray says DBX at 194.4.6267   I typically shut off automatic updates when running on an older unsupported Windows for this reason.  My environment may be old, but it's stable and new stuff can easily cause havoc.

Assuming this was an auto-update, did dropbox stop signing the driver?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dbForumUser, let's jump right into this! 

The Dropbox app automatically updates itself indeed, and that is essential to make sure it's working without an issue. 

Based on everything you mentioned you're using the app's latest version indeed. 

As for the message, it sounds like a direct message coming from your OS, which I'd need to dig a bit deeper, and gather some info to fully understand if it's Dropbox causing this, or your OS. 

Do you also use Windows 7 as the OP mentioned? Also, was that message present when you opened your app, and did it let you use the app without any issues after? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for respnding Megan.

Yes, I am running Windows 7 SP1.  

I wasn't even using my computer (or dropbox) when the pop-up occurred.   Dropbox appears  to be behaving fine afterwards 

I did go and peruse C: drive to see what files were modified in that time period.   Looks like AVAST had updated around that time period.    Then I looked at that driver file dbx.sys and it was last modified 3/2/2024.   Then I looked at the properties of dbx.sys

dbForumUser_0-1710803715190.png

Conclusion?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @dbForumUser

Just to clarify, does this message pop up every time you access your computer, or was it a one-time thing?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

dbForumUser
Explorer | Level 3

one-time so far.    If my sleuthing is correct, it happened when Avast was updating itself.  

Does the digital signature look correct?  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dbForumUser, there doesn't appear to be any obvious issues with the digital signature.

If you experience this issue again in the future, please contact the support team directly for them to investigate this in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DBoxTips
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello,

There is no issue with the Dropbox digital signature. That Windows warning message appears when trying to load drivers signed with a SHA-2 signature on older versions of Windows which only support SHA-1 signatures. Microsoft deprecated SHA-1 signatures in 2019. During the transition period from SHA-1 to SHA-2 Dropbox used to sign their driver with both SHA-1 and SHA-2 signatures, but now only sign with SHA-2.

The good news is support for SHA-2 signatures can be added to Windows 7 SP1 by installing KB3033929. Doing that should fix the issue.

Hope this helps,

Andrew (DBoxTips)

Need more support?