cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox deleting files while working. Very big Sync & record issues

Dropbox deleting files while working. Very big Sync & record issues

Matthewzzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello,
Got a very big issue sinces few days and can't find any solution; Dropbox sync go really crazy so if an expert can help, it will be more than welcome ( English or French); I explain in details ans step by step :
Windows 10 OS / Dropbox Plus account
1/ Installation of a new SSD Nvme 980 Pro 2T + update of the last driver (not previous buggy one).
2/ delog from dropbox
3/ restart
4/ re-log to dropbox, migration of the DROPBOX folder to that SSD (via the preferences app). & re-synch everything.
5/ Start working again > My workflow > working directly in a dropbox folder synced beetween 2 Home Computers via a switch (Lan connection) + a Laptop when I have to work outside; that workflow is in place and working perfectly since a lot of years.
6/ First error happened with photoshop and continue with Adobe After Effects :
save the first file : no pbl. save again after few minutes and dropbox say that it can't record it. seem to be a temp file pbl (add numbers after file names) but dropbox doesn't want to save that open file with it real name nore any other name ! not a problem to save that file outside dropbox on the same SSD.
I discover after that that the original file disappear (was delete in fact !) from my dropbox internal folder by was sync online ?!!!! ! can recover it in the online dropbox backup)
Got only one time a strange but clear warning (see screenshots below) saying that if I move that file to $Delete (directory??), it will not be accessible anymore !!! : for info I didn't try to move or delete any file at that moment ....
This issue still continue and I can't work anymore... I can backup the deleted file from dropbox backup (online) but sometime it stay, sometimes dropbox delete it again. Still no way to work and save.
I delete the cache but the pbl is still there.
Any idea because I have headaches ?
Many Thanx to anyone who will find a solution.
Cheers
230206 bug $Delete working file DROPBOX.jpg230203 bug $Delete working file DROPBOX.jpg230203 bug synchro - delete DROPBOX.jpg
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Matthewzzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello Walter,
thanx a lot for your reply !
  • I just check the PC and the App is in version 166.4.2920.
  • ::::: LATEST TESTS THIS NIGHT AND THIS MORNING ARE GOING IN THE GOOD WAY 🥳 = everything (for the moment ) is back to normal. no more sync / save issue (that file and other one...)
but if we can find the "why" it could help others and the dev team so here are more infos about the issues :
  • The App was "up to date" (not syncing) each time the pbl occurs. didn't remember when  I got this message ( I only got 1 time this Alert but this problem happened during few days).
  • in the way to find this specific issue, it seems it was a sync delay in the App functioning : I don't have any network issue but previously I got messages about ".temp" files that couldn't sync for one understanding reason = save an open file that was just save few seconds before and was still syncing on DBX. I had to wait 1 or 2 seconds and could save again. Here the issue is very different as the open file couldn't sync (nor the .temp files generated by the app) but first of all, DPX delete the original open file from the dpx folder.!!!! = disappear (and were push to this strange & invisible $Delete folder?! ).
  • after online check in the automatic backup folder, I could strangely found the .temp files !!!
  • I wasn't in pause syncing when it happens (If I was, it won't be an issue but a mistake and I will not ask for help 😉  )

Again many thanx for the time you spend answering and sorry for all my long explanations...
Cheers
Matthews

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Matthewzzz, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify if the app is 'up to date' or still syncing in your system tray when you get these messages?

Does this happen if you pause syncing when working on the files you mentioned?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Matthewzzz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hello Walter,
thanx a lot for your reply !
  • I just check the PC and the App is in version 166.4.2920.
  • ::::: LATEST TESTS THIS NIGHT AND THIS MORNING ARE GOING IN THE GOOD WAY 🥳 = everything (for the moment ) is back to normal. no more sync / save issue (that file and other one...)
but if we can find the "why" it could help others and the dev team so here are more infos about the issues :
  • The App was "up to date" (not syncing) each time the pbl occurs. didn't remember when  I got this message ( I only got 1 time this Alert but this problem happened during few days).
  • in the way to find this specific issue, it seems it was a sync delay in the App functioning : I don't have any network issue but previously I got messages about ".temp" files that couldn't sync for one understanding reason = save an open file that was just save few seconds before and was still syncing on DBX. I had to wait 1 or 2 seconds and could save again. Here the issue is very different as the open file couldn't sync (nor the .temp files generated by the app) but first of all, DPX delete the original open file from the dpx folder.!!!! = disappear (and were push to this strange & invisible $Delete folder?! ).
  • after online check in the automatic backup folder, I could strangely found the .temp files !!!
  • I wasn't in pause syncing when it happens (If I was, it won't be an issue but a mistake and I will not ask for help 😉  )

Again many thanx for the time you spend answering and sorry for all my long explanations...
Cheers
Matthews
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matthewzzz Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?