cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Excel files on mac not showing in Recents and also changes made by other users not saving

Shared Excel files on mac not showing in Recents and also changes made by other users not saving

david0001
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I'm using the latest version of Excel as of March 2023 and successfully storing files locally on my synced dropbox folder. The files are also appearing on the Dropbox server which is fine.

I have 2 issues:-

1. Although Word and other files appear in my Finder Recents window, Excel does not.

2. When a colleague opens, amends and saves a shared Excel file, the changes are not visible on the Excel file when I next open it, but are there on their file, which sounds like a syncing problem.

Both are becoming a real problem, so all help gratefully received, thanks. 

7 Replies 7

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @david0001, welcome to our Community! 

Let's jump right into the first issue here: could you try to attach a screenshot, or what you see on your end, when you try to access your Recents in Finder? Does this happen with Excel files that exist only inside your Dropbox folder, or not? 

As for the changes you mentioned, when they edit the Excel file on their end, can they see their changes online? What happens when you try to preview the file on the website, instead of the app? Do you see their edits then?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!  

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

david0001
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan

Thanks for the help.

Here is a shot of Recents.  All files are opened on the Dropbox folder on my mac (and of course are auto synced).

I have been working on several XL files today but they just don't appear (see attached).  The one XL file that has appeared is seems to be a random event.  There's nothing special about it, it's been stored and created in the same way as all the others.

david0001_0-1680027298204.png

With regards to the edits by other people of the XL files, yes they can save their work and it remains in the file as they see it but the synced file in the Dropbox store doesn't show any of their saved work when I open it.  They are also on a mac but are sharing my shared dropbox folder.

Also, when I open the file using the dropbox web page interface, I can view the file in the viewer and the changes aren't there, they have not been saved.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thank you.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @david0001, amazing job providing all the info, thanks for that! 

So, just to clarify, the files you showed me in the screenshot are all recent files that you see coming from the Dropbox folder, right? 

I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon. It would be on the menu bar, next to your WiFi and if you hover your mouse there that should let you know the status and version of the application. Can you let me know more? 

Now, as for the changes in the shared folder here is the thing: it seems to be a syncing issue on their device. Provided this was a syncing issue between your app, then you should be able to see the changes they make online, which would indicate that your app isn't syncing these edits.  

Since you don't see those changes online either, that means that there is a slight issue on their app, that doesn't allow for the changes to immediately sync. Since there's not much we can do on our end, without the presence of the person experiencing the issue, I would suggest that you share this Help Center article with them, and also ask them to contact us directly about this. 

I hope this clarifies! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

david0001
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan

Here is a grab from my dropbox sync today.

As you can see there are two XL files that have synced about 7 hr ago.

However, they don't show on recents (see the image) on my mac and also the changes made by my colleague are not recorded as they edited the file only a few hours ago, which its't recorded.

david0001_0-1680036724651.png

So that is the problem in one screen.

Hope this helps.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @david0001, does this occur for Excel files not located in the Dropbox folder when you open and edit them? Do those Excel files appear in Recents in Finder?

What about when you edit files in the Dropbox folder while the Dropbox desktop application has been exited?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

david0001
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay

Yes, the same problem (if the XL file saved to my desktop for example), it doesn't appear in Recents in Finder.

And if I exit Dropbox helper (top right icon) same problem exists, it doesn't appear in Recents.

I can kind of live with this, but the fact that XL files aren't syncing when changed by others in a shared folder is a problem.

I'm a bit IT myself, and I wonder if the Recents issue and the lack of syncing is an XL are linked and an issue with Dropbox and XL?

Seems really weird to me that XL files aren't properly registered on the mac file store and also they don't sync over Dropbox.

Thanks for your help. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @david0001, since the same behavior is apparent when you close Dropbox, that indicates that the app isn't the problem. 

Also, the same thing happens with Excel content outside of your Dropbox folder, therefore I think it might be a good idea to contact Apple, and ask them about this. 

As for the changes syncing between accounts, and devices you earlier mentioned: "..Also, when I open the file using the dropbox web page interface, I can view the file in the viewer and the changes aren't there, they have not been saved." What about your colleague? 

Are they able to see the changes they make on their app, when visiting their account online?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    david0001 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?