cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Issues

Sync Issues

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

I am using WIN 10, but it is failing to sync.

The taskbar item is missing from taskbar (even though the setting say it should be appearing.  The status is Dropbox 178.4.4811 Syncing.

However according to control panel the version i am using is 179.4.4917

Whenever i try to open Dropbox from the start menu, it fail to open.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

There is no sign of dropbox when trying to open or save a document to dropbox from word etc, almost like it is not installed.

Please can anyone help, i have been working on this all afternoon.

11 Replies 11

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting about this, @russell-mark4!

Can you please clarify something more for me? You mention that the syncing status of your Dropbox app is "syncing". If you open your File Explorer > Dropbox folder, do you see any syncing icons next to your files or nothing appears?

Any additional screenshots you can upload showing what you see on your end (especially when it comes to the two app versions) would also be super helpful. 

Let me know when you're ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

I have no status within the folder.  I am unable to open the folder.  Also, when i open Windows Explorer, I do not get dropbox as i would expect (or as i do on my WIN11 machine (which is working fine).  See screen shot:

russellmark4_1-16905870308edit39.jpg

I notice the update service (dpupdate) starts and then immediately stops, with this message "the dropbox update service (dbupdate) started and then stopped.  Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."

Also the same is true of: dbupdatem.  Both these services are set to startup automatically.

Finally, i am not sure that dropbox is installed correctly, as the process under Task Manager only has "Dropbox Service" with no CPU usage and within this the "DbxSvc" there is no data for it.

russellmark4_2-1690587087549.png

Lastly, when i go to the location being C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox Client  there is a separate folder called 179.4.4917 but separate to that is the actual dropbox application (as per screen shot)

russellmark4_0-1690586907004.png

I look forward to you assistance.

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

It has been a while, I responded to your request, in order that you can help, but since, I have heard nothing.

I have since done some research and discovered other have had the same issues in the past, people suggested open as administrator, or right click and compatibility issues, but after trying these, still no help.  Dropbox failed to open.

PLEASE can someone try to help, I have zero issues for over 10 years and now I am finding that Dropbox appears not to care.

Is it worth removing Dropbox and all associated files, and starting again.?  Yes sun will take time if it works, but better than this?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @russell-mark4, thanks for the update here.

So, just to confirm, even if you reinstall the Dropbox app, you still don't get the small Dropbox icon in your system tray?

Have you checked this article to make sure you've checked all the troubleshooting steps available?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

Hannah.  Yes as i say, i have tried to reinstall, and still it fails.  When i reinstall i would normally expect the log on dialog to appear, but nothing.  In the task manager the Dropbox app opens, but then closes.  Nothing in the taskbar.

I have tried everything, and read all articles.  It is fine on my WIN11 machine.

Please what is the way forward?  Do i need to remove ALL aspect of DB from my PC?  If so, what are all the registry entries etc too that need removing.

I think it is time DB provided help, rather than just clarification of what is already written, and shown in screenshots

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

Nancy

I can only see that it is syncing from the following screen:

russellmark4_0-1690896406350.png

But as you see this is only from taskbar, but it DOES not appear on the taskbar.  Also notice the version (178...), compared to:

russellmark4_1-1690896495365.png

Clearly showing a different version (179...)

Please help.

Rich
Super User II

@russell-mark4 wrote:

In the task manager the Dropbox app opens, but then closes.  Nothing in the taskbar.

Have you checked Event Viewer for any System or Application events to see if there are any errors logged?

russell-mark4
Explorer | Level 4

Thankyou,

I dont know if this is any help, but i have found this: The DbxSvc service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

What should the file be and where should this file be located?  How do i get the file back (considering i have trued unintsalling and reinstalling?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @russell-mark4, If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    russell-mark4 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?