cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unknown Error" when saving an Adobe Premire Pro project directly into a Dropbox folder

"Unknown Error" when saving an Adobe Premire Pro project directly into a Dropbox folder

Agirres
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I use Dropbox to store most of my files so I can share them easily, so I normaly create the projects directly on a Dropbox sync folder on my PC.

However, since some days ago, I have started getting this error when trying to create or save a .prpoj directly into a Dropbox sync folder:

An unknown error occurred while saving the project

<Name>.prproj (\\?\D:\Dropbox\<directory>.prproj

Agirres_1-1594996587612.png

I believe the error has to do with the "?" in the start of the saving location, which I don't know why it's there. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Both Dropbox and Premiere Pro are up to date. I've also asked on the Adobe community, but I don't know if this bug is related to Adobe or Dropbox.

Thanks in advance

22 Replies 22

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information, @LaurenceSpliceFilms

It looks like the files you're seeing are asset files created by the third party app, to enable it to open the project in question.

For this reason, I'd recommend pausing syncing before opening the file, saving any changes you make, closing the third party app after you're done, and resuming syncing again. 

Let us know if you have any trouble even after doing this or if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LaurenceSpliceFilms
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Okay that's a temporary workaround but hopefully this can be fixed - it doesn't do this on my Mac in the same scenario and it's disruptive to the workflow.

Thanks.

demafleez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Well, as of v104.4.175,  there is *NO* option to pause syncing! Good news is I think the update fixed my Premiere saving issue. That said, I think removing pause sync feature is a step in the wrong direction. For troubleshooting purposes I think that feature is still helpful.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @demafleez, pause syncing should still exist in the Dropbox desktop application. There's been a recent change in the newest 105.4.651 version, so could you try updating to that version to test this?

To pause syncing, can need to click the Dropbox icon in the system tray/menu bar, then click the message in the bottom left (it could say syncing, or up to date), and then you should be able to pause syncing for '30 minutes', '1 hour' or 'Until tomorrow'.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

demafleez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the followup @Jay . I've updated to the latest version and the pause function is indeed there. I was looking for it under the account icon at the top right and honestly had no idea that hovering over the bottom right 'up to date' icon would offer up the pause function. Not sure if that's how it functioned in prior versions, but you guys/gals might wanna add an ellipsis(...) to that icon  or something to indicate that it is actually button that has functionality rather than it being mistaken for just a static status condition. Thanks!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback on this matter, @demafleez!

I'm happy to hear you were able to pause the syncing on your device. Enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

NexusMotion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is an incredibly annoying problem and needs to be fixed. It didn't do this before, and it doesn't always do it. Seems to only happen on certain projects for me. This issue also seems to be related to updates this year where Dropbox "holds on" to files and makes them impossible to delete or move because "another application is using these files." For someone in a production environment using Dropbox as a business and paying good money for syncing, we shouldn't have to quit or pause your services to save a file.

DaveVeal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Using DB as our small design firm's main tool.  FURIOUS that this is still a problem.  And ONLY with premiere for us.  AEX, C4D everything else is fine.  Pausing DB while working is antithetical to the point of real time cloud back up.  This HAS to be addressed.  Pausing and stopping all our synching across multiple projects while one editor is working in premiere is ridiculous.  DB, please get with Adobe and figure this out.  Clearly something DB did with a new build broke this as it's showing up no matter what version of Premiere one uses.  Ones that used to function fine w DB.  Please advise.  Running DB 114.4.368, windows 10.  Premiere 2019/2020

NexusMotion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Absolutely. Plus when you pause the Dropbox it takes FOREVER to turn back on and give you right-click options again. And now dropbox has to be restarted like 10 times a day cause it just stops working and only acts like it's syncing. There's something terrible going on behind the scenes right now and they need to fix it. As someone who runs a business in quarantine using this paid service, it should work better than this. I've had this service for YEARS and it's getting more and more bloated. 

DaveVeal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Couldn't agree more.  I totally forgot about the disappearing right click options i've been seeing in mac.  Sporatically i've had to link out to the web browser versions of files just to generate a share link for a client email.  Honestly considering other options because of these latest developments.  But based upon the lack of concern from DB and their above "excitement" that pausing "solved" the OP's problem, they don't seem to be very concerned if at all.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sammtobias New member | Level 2
    DaveVeal Explorer | Level 4
    NexusMotion Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?