cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Unknown Error" when saving an Adobe Premire Pro project directly into a Dropbox folder

"Unknown Error" when saving an Adobe Premire Pro project directly into a Dropbox folder

Agirres
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I use Dropbox to store most of my files so I can share them easily, so I normaly create the projects directly on a Dropbox sync folder on my PC.

However, since some days ago, I have started getting this error when trying to create or save a .prpoj directly into a Dropbox sync folder:

An unknown error occurred while saving the project

<Name>.prproj (\\?\D:\Dropbox\<directory>.prproj

Agirres_1-1594996587612.png

I believe the error has to do with the "?" in the start of the saving location, which I don't know why it's there. Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Both Dropbox and Premiere Pro are up to date. I've also asked on the Adobe community, but I don't know if this bug is related to Adobe or Dropbox.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @Agirres.

In this case then, this might be caused by the syncing process when our app is running while you're also working on Adobe Premiere Pro. 

Apart from quitting the app when working on your files through Adobe's Premiere Pro, you might also be able to work-around this issue by pausing the sync.

I know it's not much, but I sure hope this helps to some extent. 

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Agirres; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Can you let me know what our desktop app is reporting within your system tray when you're making these changes?

Also, to help isolate the issue, could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray 
  • Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select "Quit Dropbox"

If the issue with creating or saving those projects into your Dropbox folder persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this would suggest that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application. You may want to check other applications or components of your computer's Operating System that could be causing this.

If the issue is resolved when Dropbox is completely closed though, please let me know and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Agirres
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey Walter!

It does indeed work when I quit Dropbox, so at least now I have a way to save the projects directly!

So I guess it's a Dropbox issue.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the update @Agirres.

In this case then, this might be caused by the syncing process when our app is running while you're also working on Adobe Premiere Pro. 

Apart from quitting the app when working on your files through Adobe's Premiere Pro, you might also be able to work-around this issue by pausing the sync.

I know it's not much, but I sure hope this helps to some extent. 

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

RyanPatch
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have used Dropbox for creative projects for years - ever since it first premiered, but I only started having this error in the last few months.  In both ProTools or Adobe Premiere, saving project files OVER already-saved projects (ie, hitting CTL+S) results in an error from the application saying they can't save.  See below:

Screenshot 2020-08-07 23.38.31.png

A similar unknown error comes up with protools.

However, doing a "Save As" works fine - until it's saved.  Then, if I try to save THAT file again, I get an error.

This DOES NOT happen with any other file type (word, photoshop, for instance).  This DOES NOT happen if just save to the desktop OR when I save when DB is quit/not running  - so I know it's DB specific.  This DOES happen on my laptop.

Windows 10 Pro build 1909. Fast everything. Plenty of disk space.

demafleez
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have this same issue, specifically with Premiere only. Other apps including Photoshop, After Effects & Cinema4D do not have the same behavior even tho they are saved in to the same top level folder structure.

I'm not sure if the issue lies in Adobe or Dropbox's (or both) but my work around instead of doing a file save as is to temporarily pause DB syncing via the system tray icon. Super big pain for sure until the issue is resolved.

YoniL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue with dropbox and adobe premiere. Are y'all working on a solution with Dropbox? Could the app delay syncing until the file is saved? 

Turning off sync indeed fixes the issue but I'd prefer to have it on most of the time.

Thanks,

Yoni

LaurenceSpliceFilms
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yup, I also get this issue. Frustrating because I switched from Google Drive to dropbox because I was getting errors saving C4D into Drive, now on Dropbox I get this issue with Premiere! Everything else is fine though.

I have the exact same error message as the OP. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @YoniL and @LaurenceSpliceFilms, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

As Walter mentions above, could you let us know if you can prevent the error message from appearing by pausing sync before editing the file, and resuming syncing after you've closed the third party app? 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LaurenceSpliceFilms
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks! Yes, pausing syncing on the Dropbox app works and allows me to save in Premiere. Once I close Premiere and resume syncing it seems to be fine.

Not sure if this is helpful but I noticed in the folder where the premiere file is saved, it seems to create a bunch of weirdly named files. I've attached a screengrab for reference.

dropboxbroken.png

So the only way to save the file while dropbox is actively syncing is to do "Save As", hence why there's 10 versions. Everytime I tried a normal "Save" it would create those additional files with the crazy names!

Hope that helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sammtobias New member | Level 2
    DaveVeal Explorer | Level 4
    NexusMotion Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?