I can't edit excel files stored on Dropbox from my Android device. instead of saving the edits, a new file gets created every time I save the edited file.
this is what happens:
1) I open Dropbox app and navigate to a folder with Excel file ABC.xlsx in it
2) I click (touch!) the file, then it gets opened in Dropbox in preview mode
3) I click the pencil icon at the bottom of Dropbox and it opens a menu with the title "Open with...". I click on Microsoft 365 (Office)
4) The file is opened in Microsoft 365 and I can edit it. I do some editing then click on the save icon (floppy drive icon)
5) a new page opens with the title "Save a copy". Dropbox is not directly listed in places I can save the file in. I have to click on Browse then choose Dropbox and navigate to the folder where the original file is stored.
6) I save it with the same original name ABC.xlsx. (technically I'm asking the app to overwrite the original file)
7) instead of overwriting the file, a new file named ABC_19RandomNumbers.xlsx is created. all my edits are save in this new file. the original ABC.xlsx is intact
after that, I get 3 notifications from Dropbox
a) Changes saved. (1 file saved)
b) Upload failed: ABC_19RandomNumbers.xlsx (tap for details)
c) Upload complete (1 file added)
Specs: Android 10, Microsoft 365 (Office) 16.0.16130.20188 (Feb 22, 2023), Dropbox 318.2.2 (Feb 28, 2023)
I have a Microsoft 365 Personal subscription and Dropbox basic free plan
Thanks in advance for your help!