cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost phone with Google authenticator and couldn't sign in now

Lost phone with Google authenticator and couldn't sign in now

Balawayne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi,

I have a Dropbox account in which I have enabled 2 step verification by google authenticator. I lost my phone and I couldn't access my Google Authenticator for Dropbox. Because of that when I try signing in into the Dropbox, I don't have 6 Digit Google Authenticator pin as well as I don't have Emergency Backup codes.

I really need to access my account. Please someone help me to solve this. I couldn't even email or call dropbox customer service since I have a basic plan.

Thank you in Advance,
Bala.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No, the account is totally lost without those codes or the backup ones. 

It is not possible to get in without either. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I'm afraid that without either the phone and the codes OR your backup codes the account is lost. Are you logged in anywhere already? That will help you download everything to set up a new account.

Simply put you told Dropbox to only allow people in who had one of those two things - you now dont have them so it cannot let people in. 

Also, I have found before that if you re-add the Google Authenticator app to a phone it restores all previously set up 2FA - have you tried that?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Balawayne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Mark, I didn't login anywhere with that account. That's the issue here. I tried installing google authenticator but it was not showing up the codes.
But I do have the same number now. I have the same number. Is there any way we can login using our mobile number or with OTP sent to registered mobile number? I can do that if it is possible.

I don't want to lose the data in my dropbox. Please help.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Unless your phone was set up as a backup on the account, no, I'm afraid not. 

The Authenticator App does not link to phone numbers so unless you explicitly added your number to Dropbox it wont know it.

Balawayne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So what is the solution for this? What can I do? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Balawayne wrote:

So what is the solution for this? What can I do? 

Unfortunately, nothing. @Mark is correct. Without your emergency backup codes there's no way to access the account. Even Dropbox won't help you gain access. It would be a serious security issue if they did.

Balawayne
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Rich, then I have lost all my data in it? 😢 I have connected my mobile number with it. Can I access through that? Is it possible? I need my data back.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

No, the account is totally lost without those codes or the backup ones. 

It is not possible to get in without either. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
@HI Balawayne, as @Mark and @Rich have said, if you don't have the emergency backup codes, or the number used for the backup, then it isn't possible to login to your account to download your data.

This post I wrote should help explain why it isn't possible to regain access to your account without these details.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

helpmedb
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So I had the same issue but now i dont know how to get my 'package' back. I took up a 25GB free for 1year offer with my laptop, all hooked up to my email address and laptop/mobile app. How do I get my 25GB package back?

Also, can I ensure my old account in inaccessible, deleted, so 'nobody' can access it?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    EssoPaC Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Souza Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?