cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I close an account for a deceased family member

How do I close an account for a deceased family member

TownerLaw
New member | Level 2

My father's law firm has a Dropbox account. He passed away at the end of 2021 and we have finished closing down his business and am at the point where I need to close down the Dropbox account.  While I thought I had changed the account data to my own contact information it appears that Dropbox is currently is still using the old contact information.  As a result I am unable to get the TFA code to enable me to login.  The support information for not being able to log in does not appear to have a phone number that I can use to work through this issue.

I have submitted a request for assistance that included the business email address as well as my email address but have heard nothing back.  

There is no phone number that I can find on the Dropbox website that will actually put me in touch with a person to help me. 

How the heck do I get someone to help?

As an ironic aside, when logging into the community site there was a graphic and link soliciting ideas to encourage older people to use Dropbox.  Top of the list is to have obvious procedures people can use to get help when these older people pass away.

10 Replies 10

TownerLaw
New member | Level 2

If you truly want to use Dropbox with an elderly person in your life please make sure that someone besides the elderly person can access the account.  My father had a Dropbox account for his business.  When he passed away we were unable to login to his account to close it and Dropbox's customer service is so tightly restricted that there is no way to actually get help to close the account (the website has links that supposedly help but when you actually use them you can't actually submit a ticket unless you are paying for something).  

So while Dropbox can be helpful, make sure the elderly person has family support that is available to access the account if it is needed.  If you don't you will likely end up as I have, stuck without help.

TownerLaw
New member | Level 2

As an example of my issue, both this community and the chat "bot" provided me with a link telling me that I would need to submit a ticket, providing requesting access to the business account and providing documentation to support the request.  I have everything I need to provide.  The links that are provided take me to an area that is for billing and I can't even submit a ticket.😖😤

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @TownerLaw, sorry to hear about that! 

In your initial message, you mentioned that you were able to submit a request for assistance. Do you happen to have a ticket number reference, so I can locate it on my end?

Also, have you tried this form, from an incognito tab on your browser, while you're signed out of any Dropbox accounts? 

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sarah copland
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, I am desperately trying to access my late Fathers drop box account as it contains so many pictures and memories, can anyone help with this please?

Kind regards

Sarah Copland

sarah copland
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan

Hope you are well, I am desperately trying to access my late fathers dropbox account, if there is anything you can do to help I would be most grateful!

Kind regards

Sarah Copland

sarah copland
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Megan / @TownerLaw 

Hope you are well, I am desperately trying to access my late fathers dropbox account, if there is anything you can do to help I would be most grateful!

Kind regards

Sarah Copland

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sarah copland, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in and I’m sorry for your loss. 

Do you know the email address that was used to set up the Dropbox account in question? If you have direct access to that email address and you’re not sure what the Dropbox password is, you can try to reset it via this link

If you have any trouble with that though, please let me know.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sarah copland
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Nancy 

Thank you for your response and apologies for the late reply from me. I have tried to reset the p/w as we have the email address linked to his account but no joy. We have almost given up, if you could offer any further help it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 🙏

sarah copland
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Nancy 

The other problem we face is that we are now locked out of my late Dads email account due to the p/w expiring. Is there any way his drop box could be linked to another email address, such as my own? Again, any help would fantastic. Thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    sarah copland Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?