cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email notifications stopped for shared folders

Email notifications stopped for shared folders

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

A folder was shared by the owner with five people.  It contains a spreadsheet that is routinely updated.  For more than a year, we have received email notifications when the owner made changes.  Now those emails have stopped for some reason.  Owner hasn't made changes to her settings, either have recipients.  I can go into Dropbox, open folder, and see the Activity pane at the right telling me she's edited the document.  But we're no longer receiving the email notifications.  How do we fix this?

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BrendaF9, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is this behavior occurring on any file that is being updated on your account, or just for this file?

Is this a shared file, or a file in a shared folder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

Jay, I noticed the lack of email notifications with respect to one folder since frequent changes are made there.  But after watching the Activity pane when I logged in, I noted that changes were made in two other shared folders that I also didn't receive notifications on.  I checked with others that also share in one folder, and they were not getting the email notifications either, so it wasn't just me.  In all instances, I'm talking about shared folders.

Surprisingly, I did receive an email notification tonight 45 minutes before you sent this reply!

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are you referring to the weekly digests for the three most used shared folders? 

Or are you referring to another type of notification via email?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, the weekly digest.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BrendaF9, since you mentioned that you received an email recently, could it be that your ISP is blocking emails from the Dropbox domains?

Also, in regards to the email that you received, was it about one of the folders you mentioned? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

The email I received yesterday was the weekly message that covered three different shared folders; I'm the owner of one but another person edits; and other people are owners of the other folders.

The reason I do not believe this is an ISP blocking issue is because others involved with one of the shared folders aren't getting notifications either, it's not just me.  And the owner of that folder that is making the edits to the spreadsheet hadn't made any changes to her preferences that would have caused us to stop being notified.

Brenda

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey Brenda, thanks for the info and sorry for jumping in. 

Can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your Notifications page here

I know it’ a long shot, but is there any chance that the rest of the shared folder members don’t have the “weekly digest” option selected at the moment? 

Also, if you follow these steps, do you receive any notifications to your email address perhaps?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

Nancy:  A snippet of my Notifications page is copied below.

The main shared folder that I'm concerned about not receiving emails on was established Dec. 8, 2019.  It was shared by the owner with eight people.  When the owner made changes to the spreadsheet in the folder, we would receive an email notification.   When it dawned on me that it had been some time since I had received an email, I checked with two others in the group of eight, and they had not received any emails either.

Regarding your paragraph, please explain the difference between "sharing" a folder with others and "following" a folder.

Brenda

BrendaF9_0-1660228513112.png

BrendaF9
Explorer | Level 4

Nancy -

FYI, I did follow those steps and read through the directions about following a folder.  I'm already set up to follow it and to receive emails as activity occurs.  There were five changes made to the spreadsheet in that folder yesterday, according to the Activity pane on the right.  I have not been notified of any of them.

Brenda

BrendaF9_1-1660229525442.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    BrendaF9 Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?