cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only part of shared video can be watched via dropbox link

Only part of shared video can be watched via dropbox link

Orlando76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Someone sends me a dropbox link to a video in his dropbox account. I open it and can only see 15min of the 37min long video. My account is a free basic 2GB account, as I rarely use dropbox. His is a plus account which holds 2TB. There couldn't be a storage issue here, could there be? Why is the video not coming through? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Orlando76 wrote:

Someone sends me a dropbox link to a video in his dropbox account. I open it and can only see 15min of the 37min long video.

You're just watching a preview of the original video, and previews are time-limited based on the file owner's account level. If the owner of the file has a Basic account, only the first 15 minutes of a file can be previewed. For Plus, Family and Professional accounts that limit is extended to the first 60 minutes, and for Business accounts it's the first 4 hours. To view files longer than these limits you need to download the file and view it locally on your own device.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Orlando76 wrote:

Someone sends me a dropbox link to a video in his dropbox account. I open it and can only see 15min of the 37min long video.

You're just watching a preview of the original video, and previews are time-limited based on the file owner's account level. If the owner of the file has a Basic account, only the first 15 minutes of a file can be previewed. For Plus, Family and Professional accounts that limit is extended to the first 60 minutes, and for Business accounts it's the first 4 hours. To view files longer than these limits you need to download the file and view it locally on your own device.

Orlando76
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Rich, I wouldn't have known!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Orlando76 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?