cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unsupported file type

Unsupported file type

Robert46
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have been using Dropbox on Windows PC and Android cell phone for many years for the same files. Recently attempted to access two Word documents from Dropbox on cell phone, which I have been accessing for many years. Received a message on cell phone, "unsupported file type". However, I have no trouble accessing these two files in Dropbox on PC. What's changed? How can I access? Will influence my decision to renew Dropbox!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Gsh1 & @jima999, could you check if this helps improve matters for you too?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Robert46, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What is the exact file type you're trying to preview on your device? Is it a doc file or a docx file?

Is the error in the Dropbox mobile app, or the Word app (when opening via Dropbox)?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Robert46
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The two documents are docx which I have always been able to open in the past. They are both password protected, but Dropbox has always accommodated that, allowing me to enter passwords to access. Not sure where the error lies, with Dropbox (assumed) or with Word. I have Microsoft Office on cell phone. The error message has a target with a dart off-center, and the message, "File type not supported. Couldn't download file. Please try opening in another app." Am looking for a workaround. If found, will discontinue use of Dropbox because it will no longer be of any use. Will revert to One Drive.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Robert, hope it’s OK if I jump in, too. 

Do you mind sending over a screenshot of the exact error you receive, so that I can have a visual? In general, .docx files that are up to 160MB in size can be previewed on Dropbox, so I’d also like to take a look. 

Besides that, are you having the same issue if you try to preview another .docx file that’s not password-protected?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Robert46
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks to all who tried to help. Will not be sending screenshot since I described it in detail in one post. Have traced this problem to Dropbox since I am able to open file in cell phone from one-drive. This proves that Word and phone are performing properly. Problem appears to be with Dropbox. Docx files which have no password protection open fine from Dropbox on phone, so problem is with password-protection, which always worked from Dropbox until recently. Will not be renewing Dropbox.

jima999
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same problem with password protected MS Word docx files but not (interestingly) password protected Excel xlsx files. This situation is a recent development as password protected docx files were handled by Dropbox on my Android phone okay until lately. Definitely a bit of a pain!Screenshot_20221118_144007_Dropbox.jpg

BTW I am attaching a screenshot which might help.

Robert46
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yep! That's the same error message I received, graphics & all. As I mentioned, I have found a workaround by accessing the password-protected file through One Drive. Won't be using Dropbox anymore.

jima999
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If they don't sort this out fairly quickly I might have to give up on Dropbox too!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot, @jima999, and I’m sorry to hear you’re having the same issue. 

What’s the app version that your mobile app is running at the moment? 

If you try to preview this file via www.dropbox.com, do you receive the exact same message? 

Let me know, and we’ll check this further.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Gsh1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have exactly the same problem as described. It started about a fortnight ago after using Android Dropbox successfully for years. My version is 306.2.2
Need more support?