cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not syncing to my offline folders.

Files not syncing to my offline folders.

becmac
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I have just upgraded to a Business Teams account and uninstalled/reinstalled Dropbox, and now my files don't appear to be syncing. They are all available online, but not all are available on my PC Windows 10. I haven't had this issue prior to updating my account.

When I click on the Dropbox icon there aren't any syncing issues and it says all of my files are up to date.

In preferences/settings, I have ticked for all files to be available offline.

I've quit Dropbox and reloaded, as well as restarted my computer.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Or how to fix this?

Thank you so much!!

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @becmac, I hope you're doing well!

If I understand what you mentioned correctly, it seems that some of your content isn't visible when you try to access your Dropbox folder, using your Windows device. 

If not, please feel free to correct me here. Now, I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon, on the menu or task bar, next to your WiFi and hover your mouse there.

That should give you the version of the app that you're using on your end. 

Is there any chance that you enabled selective sync for these folders? This would prevent them from syncing to your local device indeed. 

Thank you, and keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

becmac
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Correct! Folders and files aren't visible in my offline folders, only online.

My dropbox is up to date - 185..6054

I checked for selective sync folders, but I have chosen New Files Default as "Available Offline" and every folder is selected in the "Selective Sync" section......

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @becmac, sorry to jump in here. 

It looks like you’re referring to two different features; while selective sync totally removes your folders from the Dropbox app to save hard drive space, it’s also possible to make your files online-only instead (by right clicking on them), in which case you’d still see their placeholders in your local Dropbox folder. The “offline” setting that you mention refers to the second feature.

If your local Dropbox folder appears to be totally empty, can you please check www.dropbox.com, and let me know if the names of your folders contain any of these characters?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

becmac
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

Thanks so much for responding! I have checked both of these settings and all of these files/folders were synced prior to the upgrade, so it's not the file naming. The folders aren't totally empty, some folders and files are there but if I add any files or make any changes to my desktop folders or move any around, no changes are made in the online dropbox.

And vice versa, if I amend / change anything in the online folders, it's not reflected in my desktop folders...

becmac
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Everyone,

I was able to find what was happening although I'm still a little confused by it and now I'm likely to have a few errors... Basically, it looks as though when I upgraded a copy of my Dropbox was created and as I was working from "pinned folders" in Explorer, I was working from the copied folders only available on my desktop that were no longer linked to the online shared folders. It still says Dropbox in the file path so I'm just trying to work out where exactly these folders are located on my computer as I have been working on a few local copies this past week that won't have synced when I upgraded! Frustrating, definitely, but at least I've located the new Dropbox folders that are syncing with the online folders/files in real-time, which is a big positive.

Thanks for your input!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Happy to see that you were able to, more or less, figure this out, @becmac!

If you still need any help, let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    becmac Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?