cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop files not syncing from my computer to the site

Desktop files not syncing from my computer to the site

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Many files and folders that I have edited on my desktop are not updating online. I have checked all the settings (allowed use offline), checked my network, unlimited upload speed, uninstalled and reinstalled, and don't know what else. Attached screenshots are of my desktop (see two files updated yesterday) and my online account (those docs listed as last updated May 6). Please help!

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.23.47 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 9.24.10 AM.png

17 Replies 17

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

And on my Dropbox desktop app, it says "Your files are up to date."

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @nsawicki - sorry to hear about your syncing issue.

Could you please send us a screenshot of how those files look inside your Dropbox folder and another one of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar/system tray?

Did you reboot your computer since you first noticed this by the way and have you checked the files content as well apart from their time-stamps? 

Let us know more and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks. I have restarted my computer several times. The content of the files online is old; the content of the files on my desktop is up-to-date - and note that there are several other files I've worked on in the past week or two that have the same issue. Attached are the screenshots you requested (I think). FWIW, I recently got a new computer (Macbook Air, replacing an old one) and did not have any issues transferring or installing Dropbox.  In my Preferences, the version is listed as Dropbox v200.3.7010.

[screenshots removed by Moderator for security reasons as per the Community's Guidelines]

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshots @nsawicki - I'll be removing them for security purposes in a bit, but they're really helpful! I noticed that the files you're looking at don't have syncing icons on them. 

I also noticed that you're running a beta version of the desktop app. Could you update to the latest, stable version from this page and let me know how it goes??

Make sure to turn off the early releases from your account's settings first.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

I turned off early releases, updated to the new version, and restarted. No change (online files still old), and I still don't see sync icons on my desktop. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Do you happen to have any 3rd party apps that might be monitoring your files like security or back and sync programs perhaps @nsawicki

Until we get to the bottom of this, you can upload the files you're not seeing on the web manually via a web browser.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

I don't think so, especially since the computer is new - what are some examples of the types of apps you're talking about? (Thank you so much for your help)

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Antivirus apps or VPN/firewall settings and other services like iCloud, Google Drive, One Drive etc. @nsawicki 

While we're at it, could you try the steps outlined here as well and ensure that Dropbox has full disk access as well? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

nsawicki
Explorer | Level 3

I already set the finder extensions correctly (found that article on my own!). I just followed the steps to give Dropbox full disk access (then quit dropbox and restarted). I'm not running antivirus software, and Dropbox is allowed under my firewall settings. I couldn't find any other settings or services that seem like they'd be impacting this.

One point of info that might be helpful: When I went into "Open Recent" in Word, I saw two versions of one of the docs that's not updating (see screenshot). I opened both, and the one in users/name/dropbox is the correct version, while the one in users/name/library/cloudstorage/dropbox is the not-updated one that's showing up on dropbox.com. 

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 3.12.28 PM.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    nsawicki Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?