cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My backed up desktop folders disappeared from my computer and are only on the Dropbox cloud

My backed up desktop folders disappeared from my computer and are only on the Dropbox cloud

GPet73
Helpful | Level 6

Hi everyone -

have had Dropbox for a while, and have had specific files from my Macbook back up to Dropbox (my documents file and my desktop). When I used the laptop last night everything was located on my Macbook and in Dropbox where it should be. This afternoon, came home from work and I have nothing on my desktop anymore (all files, folders, etc) and my entire My Documents folder are gone from the Macbook but are in Dropbox. Anytime I create a new file on the desktop it disappears into the dropbox cloud. There are sync issues identified, and I can't fix them because Dropbox can't find the files in their original location...not sure what to do or how to fix. I want all the files in both places, not just in the cloud on Dropbox. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

22 Replies 22

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GPet73, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

If you go to your local Dropbox folder in your Finder, are you able to locate your desktop files there?

And in their original locations, do you see shortcuts for the folders, or just nothing at all?

Also, what is the sync status of the Dropbox app? You can hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar with your mouse to find out.

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Abuhitham
Helpful | Level 6

Same Problem and other folders disappeared ( Desktop - Documents - Video ) In cloud only

any help appreciated

Update -- Add Picture can't remove Desktop From Syncing in Dropbox

2022-07-22_171348.jpg

GPet73
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Hannah -

thanks for responding. will try and answer everything but let me know if I leave something out.

I can see most of my files in finder (except for the ones that I have as online only) but the backup folder is not visible at all

the folders from my desktop and the documents folder no longer appear anywhere on my computer - only in the online/web browser link to dropbox and for some - they have completely disappeared from my macbook locally

there are two sync issues that need to be resolved when I hover - the desktop folder and the documents folder, but I can't restore since the original locations can't be found, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app as suggested by dropbox for fix, I cannot make new folders in either location on my macbook because they then quickly disappear into the cloud. Anything I put on my desktop (even as quick as a screenshot) disappears automatically to the dropbox cloud and off the desktop.

super frustrating as dropbox was intended to be back up - not home for these files. hope that makes sense and let me know if I have missed anything. Thanks again!

Abuhitham
Helpful | Level 6

I downloaded my files from Dropbox Backup and after all that hard work it disappeared and i can't disable sync and also auto backup pc

2022-07-22Screenshot.jpg

I WANT MY LAST STATUS BACK

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GPet73, could you attach a screenshot describing what you're experiencing with the location of the computer backup folders?

@Abuhitham, have you changed the computer backup in any way via the desktop app or the site itself?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Abuhitham
Helpful | Level 6

Hi @Jay 

thanks for responding, 

of course not
I expect that after the last update of the program
I saw a message like that you can't see your backup files in File Explorer
And you can watch it online in dropbox backup 

And then there was a problem with the disappearance of shortcuts, documents and files that had already been backed up

I tried to restore the files several times and cancel some features in the Dropbox and also reinstall, but to no avail

Thank you for helping us

GPet73
Helpful | Level 6

Photo 1.jpgPhoto 2.jpgPhoto 3.jpgHey @Jay 

Thanks for responding. I have attached three screenshots for you. One is the desktop (photo 1) - there should be a folder there under my hard drive (as well as a documents folder in my files, but didn't add a screenshot of that). I can tick off the box to have them added back to my macbook (photo 2) but within a few minutes of doing so they disappear again into the cloud. Photo 3 is the sync issues I see in the app - the problem is, every time I add something to the desktop or documents folder it is within a minute or two sent back to the cloud.

Hope that helps and thanks in advance for the assistance.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for all this info, @GPet73 and @Abuhitham.

Can you please confirm with us, which version of macOS you're running and which version of Dropbox you have installed?

You can see the Dropbox version, by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar with your mouse.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

GPet73
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @Hannah 

I am running Monterey 12.4 and I can't confirm what version of Dropbox I'm running as it was advised to remove and re-install and as it is currently syncing, I can't see what version it is now, apologies.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LivT Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?