cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v172.4.7555 stuck syncing (MacOS)

v172.4.7555 stuck syncing (MacOS)

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi,

Using the latest version of the app (v172.4.7555) on MacOS (Ventura), the icon is continually showing syncing when waking up from sleep. Stopping and restarting the App makes no difference to the behaviour, only a full restart.

I know files have been added and they are on smart-sync because of the cloud icon, but clicking on the icon doesn't download the files.

14 Replies 14

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Graeme T.1, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Can you please give us the current syncing status of the app, as shown when you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon?

When you say that a full restart fixes the issue, do you mean a restart of your computer or of the Dropbox app?

And if you right-click your files and choose "make available offline", do they sync?

Keep me posted.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Hovering over the icon just gives the hover text "Syncing...", with nothing happening.

Clicking to make it available offline brings up an empty circle (as per the usual sync progress), but nothing downloads.

When I said that a restart fixes it, it's not a quit and restart Dropbox that I do, it's a restart of the Mac, which seems to clear some sort of cache (I'm not sure), and it syncs immediately.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Graeme T.1, could you try clearing the cache folder on your machine to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi @Jay , it's the new version of the app which doesn't have a .dropbox.cache folder to clear as it uses the new File Provider API in MacOS.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, in order to look into this matter in more detail, I'd recommend contacting the support team directly as they should be able to assist further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Well, I can tell you it's still an issue with v183.4.7058. Now to contact support (AGAIN!)

Mark
Super User II

@Graeme T.1 wrote:

Well, I can tell you it's still an issue with v183.4.7058. Now to contact support (AGAIN!)

A good tip is to post on the thread from that version release and link to this one. The team do get notifications of messages from posts on those

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

This is the same issue as I have previously raised here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/v172-4-7555-stuck-syncing-MacOS/td-p/680465

What happens is that I have two directories set as "always offline", but when my MacBook Pro (14", MacOS Ventura 13.5.2) wakes from sleep I see the following icons if new files exist in these folders:

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 19.36.12.png

showing me that there are files that have been uploaded to the directory from another machine. Following the folder link, I see the following on the new files:

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 19.38.19.png

indicating that they should be downloading, but they stay in this state without showing any progress (and they're files of 50-80 MB, so shouldn't take long to download over my ~50Mbps connection).

The only thing that I could do to force the download was a complete reboot of the Mac - restarting Dropbox did not fix anything.

This is running the new MacOS FileProvider / integrated Cloud Service version of the app, not the version with a .dropbox.cache folder I could clear to force the downloads to restart.

Graeme T.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Note that this is for version v183.4.7058, not v172.4.7555, as the earlier posts might suggest.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Graeme T.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?