cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A folder has disappeared after I created it in a general folder & needed it instead in a sub-folder.

A folder has disappeared after I created it in a general folder & needed it instead in a sub-folder.

ken_804
Explorer | Level 3

I have an issue with a folder that has disappeared after I mistakenly created it in a general folder and needed it instead in a subfolder. I am running Sonoma 14.5 on a Mac Mini M1.  After I realized my error, I simply dragged and dropped the folder to the correct subfolder.  Unfortunately, the newly created folder entitled "Main Street Gallery" was nowhere to be found in my destination folder "804 Cedar."  When I conducted a search for the folder, it showed it was in 804 Cedar yet there was no trace of it actually in the folder.  I then rescanned my documents and created a new folder with the same name and placed it in 804 Cedar directly and it shows with no problem.  When I do a search on Main Street Gallery, Dropbox now shows two folders of the same name, "Main Street Gallery," in "804 Cedar" containing the same documents.  When I open the destination folder, 804 Cedar, there is only ONE Main Street Gallery folder.  Where is the second folder of the same name? 

C8BB89A6-AD2D-4846-8174-608913AEB838.jpeg90BA7318-4E81-4BC9-8445-2F7A59C5EC14_1_201_a.jpeg

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ken_804 - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please let us know if the Dropbox desktop app has finished syncing those changes and if you can see them logged in your events page?

Is the app 'up to date' in your menu bar or still syncing?

Let us know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ken_804
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for responding, Walter.

Regarding the events log, yikes, it shows three, yes, three, deletion activities of the folder and file three hours ago.  How could this be possible?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Did you move it outside your Dropbox folder by accident perhaps @ken_804?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ken_804
Explorer | Level 3

No, I did not move it all.  It was never "visibly" created to begin with, so I would have nothing to move in the first place.  This is a real enigma.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ken_804, does the event page show only deletions in regards to this folder, or additions too? 

If you click on the blue hyperlink of the event, are you able to restore it by any chance? You should be able to have the option on the top,right part of the screen.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ken_804
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan, I see a combination of simultaneous deletion/addition offsetting sequences that occurred consecutively at 8:44, 8:45 & 8:46 am.  I also see the new MSG folder I created and placed the BF file in it at 8:52 am with no corresponding deletion so that is the folder that is now visible to me.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey from me as well, @ken_804.

A simultaneous deletion/addition event for the same file usually means that it was moved from one location to another; deleted from one location and added to the new one.

If you search for the folder in your account online, what do you see?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

ken_804
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Hannah 

Well understood but I did not move it once, no less three times.  In any event, this is not the problem I am reporting.  If you scroll above, you see there are two "Main Street Gallery" folders showing in "804 Cedar."  Upon opening 804 Cedar, there is only one folder named Main Street Gallery (second screen shot from the top).  Where is the phantom folder?  How can folders get lost like this?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ken_804, could you right click and choose Get info for both of those folders in your first image to check to see their relative locations?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    ken_804 Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?