cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Couldn't delete item' - I can't delete any folder or file or change how has access to anything

'Couldn't delete item' - I can't delete any folder or file or change how has access to anything

Matt Busfield
Explorer | Level 4

Afternoon

I'm trying to free up space on my dropbox account but keep getting the message 'Couldn't delete 1 item'

MattBusfield_0-1684928799198.png

I also get an error when trying to remove access to some on a file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

34 Replies 34

Tricia51
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Matt

If I got the list of all the folders up in the centre screen, I can rename or delete them through a left click on the 3 dots on the right. The same is true for the files within them. I don't understand why this was so hard to do but it seems to be working now.

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3

I have a similar issue to this post: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Delete-edit-and-organize/Couldn-t-delete-item-I-can-t-delete-any-fol...

I am trying to delete an entire folder with many subfolders/files. Deleting the main folder says there are too many files to delete, try deleting with fewer files. If I navigate down to a subfolder with two files (each ~100 bytes), it still says too many files. If I try to delete a single file, I get the error "Couldn't delete 1 file".

This is on the website in AllFiles. I have never synced this folder to my computer that I am trying to delete. It is not shared with anyone and says "Only you" in "Who can access". I do not have the mobile app. I have tried deleting the files/folders in Firefox and Chrome.

Some of the folders I am able to delete, but for the majority of them, I get the error messages above.

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3

Oddly, after an hour it works. But shortly afterwards I get the error again.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @tyeik

Can you please try to clear the cache of your main browser, and check for any pending updates that need to be installed/make sure you’re using the latest browser version? 

Also, it’d help if you restored your browser to its default settings and disabled any browser plugins.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, @Nancy. I have cleared my cache. I do not have any add-ons. I do not have any pending updates. And I have reset the default settings. Moreover, I have tried to delete files on a completely different computer and have the same result.

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3

It would appear to me that if I hit the error "There are too many files in one request. Please retry with fewer files." then I cannot delete anything else again for quite some time. Even if I try to delete a folder with 0 files inside of it.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in, @tyeik, but the error you mentioned, does it refer to a file request?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3
@Hannah .This error is only when I go to the … to the right of the folder, then click delete. For files, the delete simply gives the error “Couldn’t delete 1 file”.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @tyeik, would you be able to send us a screenshot of the error, please? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

tyeik
Explorer | Level 3

@MeganI can provide a dropbox link to a video as well. But I would rather not post it here since it has some personal information in the file names I am trying to delete. Below are two screenshots, one of the error trying to delete a folder, the other when trying to delete a file.

tyeik_0-1695989992627.png

tyeik_1-1695990019326.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    tyeik Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?