cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File explorer having issues displaying .jpg files again

File explorer having issues displaying .jpg files again

lesmezei
Explorer | Level 3

I thought this problem had been resolved, but yesterday, my laptop and desktop both updated with 2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems (KB5023698)

Now, when I bring up any folder that has .jpg files using File Explorer, I only get a generic icon and can't see the photo previews. When I click on one of the icons, I get a black screen that says "Photo can't open this file because the format is currently unsupported , or the file is corrupted" 

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lesmezei, thanks for reaching out to us.

I moved your comment to a thread of its own, since it seems to be different than the one you originally posted it in.

Are you only having this issue with photos in your Dropbox folder? And is it just photos or other files as well?

What's the sync status and version of the Dropbox app on your computer?

You can see this info, by hovering over the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lesmezei
Explorer | Level 3

The behavior I described was on my Beelink desktop computer. When I try to open .jpg photos on my Asus laptop, I get a popup message that gives me the file path and says "no such interface supported". Pdf files come up OK but text files give me a popup message that says "Windows cannot find file (path). Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." My desktop is on Dropbox Capture V96.6.0 while my laptop is on Dropbox version 169.4.5684 and says it's up to date. On the Laptop I show two files synced yesterday. Since I couldn't display sync status on the desktop computer, I tried clicking on the Dropbox icon on its desktop and a second Dropbox icon was added to the system tray. It now shows Dropbox version 169.4.5684 and after it uploaded various files, it now says up to date. Wow, I then rechecked my file explorer and everything is working fine on my desktop. 

I tried to run Dropbox from my desktop icon on my laptop to see if it would fix the issues there but it had no effect. The laptop is still showing the same issues. 

An observation: Task Manager shows multiple background processes of Dropbox on both systems. Is this normal? Also, what's Dropbox Capture and why doesn't it appear on my laptop's system tray like on my desktop?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lesmezei, glad to know that the desktop is now working exactly as it should! 

Now, onto the laptop: when you say that Task manager shows multiple background processes of Dropbox, could you send me a screenshot, in order for me to have a visual? 

You also mentioned Dropbox Capture. Capture is a tool for users to create and communicate with screenshots, screen and audio recordings, and video messages.

To learn more about Dropbox Capture, please check out the following Help Center articles located here.

Could you send me a few screenshots of the errors you receive, when trying to preview your files using your laptop? Also, if you quit the Dropbox app, and try to preview the same content, are you able to do so? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lesmezei
Explorer | Level 3

Spoiler (Highlight to read)

I made recording. You should be able to view it at      

link removed 

My files are all in Dropbox. I'm not sure what you mean by turning it off. If I open One Drive I can view photos that are in One Drive Photo online on my laptop.  

I tried to download Dropbox Capture per the instructions as seen on the video but the system wouldn't recognize the download file. You can also see how it doesn't recognize the .jpg files I tried to open on the video.  

The Videos were made by Snipping Tool in MP4 format. Let me know if there's anything else you need. 

Les

I made recording. You should be able to view it at :link removed My files are all in Dropbox. I'm not sure what you mean by turning it off. If I open One Drive I can view photos that are in One Drive Photo online on my laptop. I tried to download Dropbox Capture per the instructions as seen on the video but the system wouldn't recognize the download file. You can also see how it doesn't recognize the .jpg files I tried to open on the video. The Videos were made by Snipping Tool in MP4 format. Let me know if there's anything else you need.Les

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @lesmezei, I went ahead and removed your link due to security reasons. 

For the same reason, along some restrictions on our end, we can't open these links. Could you send me a couple of screenshots, and attach them in your next reply? 

Also, keep in mind that even if you temporarily quit the Dropbox app, you should still be able to view the content inside your Dropbox folder. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

lesmezei
Explorer | Level 3

OK Here are some pics...

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lesmezei Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?