cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not updating from Mac to DropBox

Files not updating from Mac to DropBox

RonL
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox Basic loaded on my MacBook Air and my iPhone.  My files and folders are loaded and accessible on both.  But, when I make a change to my documents on my laptop, the changes are not saved/uploaded to Dropbox.  

To try to correct the problem, I have Quit, Uninstalled/Reinstalled Dropbox, made sure my file extensions are OK, my Dropbox Backup and Sync settings are correct, ensured that Dropbox has Permission to Share files, etc.  But, no luck.  How do I ensure that my docs and folders are automatically updated on DropBox? 

(BTY, while I am somewhat computer literate, I am not a techie.  So, do you have any not-tootechie suggestions for an 80-year-old?)

9 Replies 9

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our forum, @RonL!

As a first step, can you please check your web account here and let me know if you can see the updates you’ve made via your desktop app?

Also, if you hover over the small Dropbox icon in your computer’s menu bar, can you see what’s the current syncing status of your Dropbox app? 

Keep me posted for any updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RonL
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Nancy, but the doc did not show the updates on the web account.  And, after I make a change to my documents, there is no indication on the DB icon indicating any updating activity.  As I recall, I used to see some "activity" on the icon after making changes to a file.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RonL, when you hover over the Dropbox icon in the menu bar, what is the current status and version number of the app?

If you add a file to the Dropbox site directly, does it sync down to your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

RonL
Explorer | Level 3

Jay:

My Dropxbox is version 173.4.6706.  My Status note indicates that "everthing is up to date."  Yes, I can add an updated doc from my desktop directly to Dropbox.  But, If I modify it on my desktop it will not automatically update in Dropbox. 

Ron

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RonL, do you access your Dropbox folder, open and edit the files from there?

Also, do you have any Backups enabled at the moment?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

RonL
Explorer | Level 3

I am making my document changes on my MacBook Air where I have downloaded my Dropbox account.  I used to get an "activity/update" icon showing me that my changes are being saved to Dropbox.  I no longer get that notice.

Yes, Backup is activated...

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 12.26.46 PM.jpg

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, Ron!

When you get the chance, can you please try to edit a file again via your Finder > Dropbox folder, and let me know if the syncing status of your Dropbox app still shows as up to date or if it changes at all? 

Also, can you visit https://www.dropbox.com/home, and add a file to your Dropbox account from there? Does it sync to your desktop app after that?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

RonL
Explorer | Level 3

Namcy:

If I use Finder to open then modify a document in Dropbox, the change is registered in DropBox but not in my Mac.  As you suggetsted, I created a new folder on DropBox, but it does not show up on my Mac.

Weird. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to jump in here, @RonL.

Can you please send us a couple of screenshots showing your issue?

E.g. one from the file in Finder after updating it and one from the location you're looking for the changes online.

Also, are you perhaps updating a file in one of the computer's backed up folders or just within the Dropbox folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    RonL Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?