cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My backup is stuck on the last 1% of syncing

My backup is stuck on the last 1% of syncing

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3

I have a backup that is stuck on the last 1% of syncing. I have paused and restarted the sync, restarted my computer, cleared the dropbox cache, and cant figure out why it wont finish.  Dropbox support is telling me it's because certain filenames are formatted incorrectly so those files affected won't sync.  Problem is, I can't rename these files because they are all referenced by Pro Tools.  If I went through and renamed the affected files, this would make the backup completely useless to me in the first place.  The drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  To make matters worse, the Dropbox desktop app for Mac does NOT tell you which files are the culprits, so you are left just watching an endless sync that goes nowhere.  

You would think in 2023 simply making a cloud backup of one of your external drives would be straightforward.  I wish Dropbox wouldn't make the claim that they are a service that can effectively do it.  I wasted an entire night and half of a work day trying to get this up and running.  Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated

17 Replies 17

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wailnguitars, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please give us the ticket number for your communication with our support team, so we can take a look?

One more thing you can try as well, is to make sure that Dropbox has full disk access on your computer.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your response Hannah. The ticket number is 23107731. And yes, I made sure Dropbox had full disk access before syncing.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, @wailnguitars.

What does your backups page show about your backup? Does it look complete there?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3

Well, at the moment it says "Syncing paused" because I had paused the sync before I shut down the computer that was doing the backup.  But, it did say "Complete" on that page before I paused it.  The drop-down menu from the icon on the menu bar still showed it actively syncing though (at 99% complete).

Also worth mentioning is the fact that there is about 671GB of data that is supposed to be backed up.  In the drop-down menu from the menu bar Dropbox says it is syncing “632.08GB of 632.08GB”

@Hannah 

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah Any ideas?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wailnguitars, hope it’s OK if I jump in. 

Can you please resume syncing once again, click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, and then go to your “Sync History”? Are you seeing more details on the issue there?

If the Dropbox app still shows stuck backing up the last 1%, please upload a small file to your Dropbox backup, and then let me know if it syncs online. I’d like to see if the app is stuck syncing specific files, or if nothing syncs at all.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3

@Nancy I don't see a "Sync History" section, but I do see an "Activity" section, and there is nothing in there.

I put a small image file in the folder that is backing up, and hours have gone by without it syncing online.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @wailnguitars, does your Backup also show as unfinished when you visit your Backup page online

If so, could you send me some screenshots, in order for me to have a visual of the entire situation that you described, please? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

wailnguitars
Explorer | Level 3

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.05.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.05.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 5.05.56 PM.png

Under "Last 7 Days", those are just files that I deleted from Dropbox and have nothing to do with the current backup.  Just an FYI

@Megan @Nancy @Hannah 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    wailnguitars Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?