cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email to Dropbox failed

Email to Dropbox failed

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

I got an xxx@addtodropbox.com address. If any email is sent to that address, Dropbox saves its attachments to the Email Attachments folder in my Dropbox account. It works fine, except in one situation.

In my Fastmail email account, I created a rule that automatically forwards certain emails to that addtodropbox address. I confirmed with Fastmail that the emails are being forwarded. Yet the attachments aren't being saved to my Dropbox account.  Dropbox must have blocked the emails or didn't see the attachments.

It works if I manually forward the emails, but not if they're forwarded with the rule.  Anyone know why that's happening?

26 Replies 26

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mikerain99, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that when you manually forward the emails it works without an issue. Therefore, I believe there is something in the forwarding method you use, which is preventing the service from working as it should. 

It could be related to the method you're using, or perhaps it detects something in the rule that you created. In any case, since it seems that everything works when you manually forward the emails, it would be outside our scope of support. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

When my forwarded emails arrived at @addtodropbox.com, Dropbox must have either blocked the emails or didn't see the attachments.  Is there any way to find out what happened?  Perhaps by checking the addtodropbox.com server logs?

Mark
Super User II

When they are being forwarded are they coming direct from your email (i.e. in the From: name) and including the Dropbox email in the To: line?

I've found that unless the emails are direct To: Dropbox they fail (i.e. CC and BCC)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

The email is TO [myspecialaddress]@addtodropbox.com.  I believe the email is FROM the original sender of the email, which in this case is [Removed as per Community Guidelines]

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mikerain99, when the emails are forwarded, are the files in an attachment, or are they visible in the body of the email?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

The files are in an attachment.

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

When emails are sent to [myaddress]@addtodropbox.com, the attachments are saved to folder Email Attachments. But sometimes they're instead saved to folders called Email Attachments (1), (2), (3), etc.  This is a problem because I have an automated process on my computer that looks for files in Email Attachments, and the files aren't there.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mikerain99, sorry to jump in here, but would it be OK if we reach out via email to have a further look internally? 

Let us know and we'll use the email address that's linked to your profile, here on our Community. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mikerain99
Explorer | Level 3

Walter, yes thanks, please do.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    GB22 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?