cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking online-only files in new Dropbox (cloud storage location version) doesn't work

Clicking online-only files in new Dropbox (cloud storage location version) doesn't work

ckjmm
Explorer | Level 4

When you click on a file that has never been synced, MacOS tries to open the file using Dropbox as the default app which results in the file not opening. For a .jpeg you have to go into Get Info and change the file type / open in back to preview to open the file. 

Screenshot 2022-11-30 at 22.33.03.png 

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ckjmm, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We've not experienced this on our devices. In general, the OS itself should be able to determine the default app for which app to use to open files.

If it isn't doing so automatically, then there may be a setting on the system which has changed.

Have you tried changing the default apps on your machine to prevent this from occurring again?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ckjmm
Explorer | Level 4
Yes, changing the default app doesn’t change it. Admittedly I am also running the public beta of Ventura 13.1 which has broken aliases to dropbox files. I’m only running the beta as Apple broke spotlight search in Mac mail in 13.0.1.

ulba
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having a same issue after the update. I found out that the files that are already downloaded from the dropbox before the new update, have no problem by double click to open. But those files that are newly downloaded after the update, can not be opened by double clicking, instead you have to right click and chose application to open. 

Also, you can not opens the folders from spotlight search. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ulba, did this occur after updating to the Ventura 13.1 beta version?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ulba
Helpful | Level 5

My version is 13.0.1

ckjmm
Explorer | Level 4
This seems to be fixed with the 13.1 beta 4 update. The 13.0.1 update broke spotlight search etc. Seems they rushed out Ventura with a few bugs…

SamPT
Helpful | Level 6

I am also facing the problem since dropbox got updated before 4-5 days.

My dropbox version is 162.4.5419 and after this update ( which dropbox staff says stable).

all my excel/ word/ pdf/ jpeg files are not opening even after double clicking on it.

In order to open the file I have to go to > open with ( the default app to ope for any file is shown as 1st dropbox) then select excel / word or appropriate app to open particular file. After that I changed the default app to open to EXCEL in all .xls or .xlxs file, but again if I double click new excel file to open it again open on www.dropbox.com as the default app again to open excel file is dropbox.

So you have to select all files manually and set the default app to open that file, an only after doing that you are able to open the file in default app.

FYI. If there are 1000 excel files than you have to manually set the > open with> default app to EXCEL for all 1000 files ( changing default files to open with EXCEL app does to work will all .xlx or .xlxs files.

I raised this issue with dropbox support chat before 3-4 days, I was told that somebody will email me to contact me.

And I did received some email reply from dropbox, but I think that guy did not understand the problem at all.

I reverted back to that email before 2 days and I have still not received any reply yet.

Its annoying that we are not able to work on dropbox files at all.

FYI Dropbox ticket number for my case is 19907545

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, thank you for your reports so far. 

For anyone still affected by this, would it be OK if we reach out via email to have a further look internally?

While at it, I can see that your ticket is now closed in our system @SamPT - if you're still having issues with this, you could respond to the expert handling your case there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ulba
Helpful | Level 5
yes please, I want it to be fixed soon as possible
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    SamPT Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    ulba Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?