cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update (not reset) password on phone

Update (not reset) password on phone

Denis156
New member | Level 2

I went to Dropbox on my PC and changed:reset my password. No problems there, all good.
Now I want to get on my phone and update it to match. How do I do that? I do not want to RESET it again; I just did that on PC. I just want to UPDATE the pw to match. Cannot find any instructions on that.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Denis156 wrote:
I went to Dropbox on my PC and changed:reset my password. ... Now I want to get on my phone and update it to match. How do I do that?

If the Dropbox app is already installed on your phone and working, there's nothing to change.

Your password is only used to link a device to your account once. Once you've linked a device, it uses a secure token for access and no longer relies on your password. Changing the password on your account has no impact on devices you've already linked. You would only need to use the new password for signing in to any new devices/apps or the Dropbox website.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Denis156 wrote:
I went to Dropbox on my PC and changed:reset my password. ... Now I want to get on my phone and update it to match. How do I do that?

If the Dropbox app is already installed on your phone and working, there's nothing to change.

Your password is only used to link a device to your account once. Once you've linked a device, it uses a secure token for access and no longer relies on your password. Changing the password on your account has no impact on devices you've already linked. You would only need to use the new password for signing in to any new devices/apps or the Dropbox website.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?