cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's a Dropbox folder on my computer that is not mine and I can't delete it

There's a Dropbox folder on my computer that is not mine and I can't delete it

palmahermosa
New member | Level 2

I've spent way too much time trying to find help in this matter. No live person to speak with!!!

In cleaning out my computer I found a Dropbox folder.  I do not have Dropbox and am wondering how this got on my computer! In any event, I tried to delete it and it says 'Folder In Use.  The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program.  Close the folder or file and try again. Dropbox (Novus Shield)  Date created 2/19/2021 8:45am"  Please help as I do not know what this is and don't know if I was hacked in 2021 and didn't know it?!?!?

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our Community, @palmahermosa.

Is the Dropbox application installed on this computer? If so, check the "Account" tab in the preferences, to see if there's a Dropbox account linked to it. 

If there is one, you can sign out of the app, to disconnect the Dropbox folder. 

Try to delete it one more time and if you still get the same error, restart the computer and try again.

Let me know how it goes!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?