cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alerts/logs for admin access to specific team folders

Alerts/logs for admin access to specific team folders

DavidBerg
Explorer | Level 4

Hi

We have a Dropbox Biz plan with multiple team folders set up. Team Admins in Dropbox, through the Content function in the admin panel, can look into the tree, enter these team folders and eventually download a file.

I would like to know if this type of access by an admin is somehow logged, and if an alert can be set up if an admin uses that ability to download files, in particular from a folder to which he/she would normally not have access to.

The use case here is a team folder HR and personnel files - while there is no intrinsic problem of admin having access (as that's why admins exist in any IT system), the ability to monitor/log that access (and potentially set alerts on it), is important for our HR team to ensure confidentiality.

Thanks

David

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @DavidBerg - thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

I'm not sure if this would help, but are you familiar with the security alerts feature? If not, could you have a look here and let me know if this would do the trick for you?

Otherwise, you might want to change admin rights or permissions as outlined here and/or even check your events page for more information. 

Keep me posted anyhow!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DavidBerg
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Walter, appreciate the reply. The limitation of the alerts for my use case is they are predefined, I can not tailor them to a specific folder within Dropbox.

I could probably use events post factum, but that then (as far as I know) does not allow me to configure a notification when the specific use case I'm after (opening a file in the specific team folder by one of the admins) is occuring.

Does the Dropbox API allow to query on these type of events (admin or user access to specific folders in Dropbox), as if so I could explore to potentially link that with a 3rd party SIEM to get the notifications configured?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DavidBerg, sorry to jump in here.

I believe that our Dropbox Business API page should provide you with several info on access and member file access that will be helpful to you.

Cheers!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    DavidBerg Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?