cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old email deleted - lost password - how can I log in to new computer??

Old email deleted - lost password - how can I log in to new computer??

Ofunk
New member | Level 2

Ok, so I bought the upgraded version a while back (5 years ago?) and have always had this on my laptop (always signed in).  I just got a new computer and realized that my original login email is too old from a previous employer that no emails are being forwarded to my new email address.  Of course I forgot the old password, so is there any way I can recover it?  If I try to reset it, it sends an email to the old email address that doesnt work anymore.  I still have dropbox working on my laptop and it does have my secondary email address on there, but no way for me to forward anything over to it.  I'd hate to have to download everyfile onto a memory card, delete this account and start over, but maybe that's the only way???  Anything else I can try???

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Ofunk wrote:

... my original login email is too old from a previous employer that no emails are being forwarded to my new email address.  Of course I forgot the old password, so is there any way I can recover it?

Unfortunately, without access to the email address, there's no way to gain access to the account. Your best option is to contact your previous employer and see if they can recreate the address, even temporarily, so you can receive the reset information. Failing that, you would need to start with a new account.

If you're still being charged for that account you can contact Support to have any future charges removed, but they typically won't give you access to the account without access to the email address.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?