cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Accounts - email settings query

Multiple Accounts - email settings query

Erin83
New member | Level 2

I have been using Dropbox for a number of years, but still never got my head across all the intricacies of it. I have two accounts:

Account 1. A paid "Plus account" which is linked to an old "gmail" personal email address and has somehow over the years become the one I use for my work and use almost everyday.

Account 2: A free one and linked to my current work email address (which I do not use)

My main issue is I have clients inviting me to share their DB folders and send it to my current work email (Account 2), and this DB is always full as it's free (and full of old junk files). Is it possible to delete my "Account 2"  account, and update the email settings from "Account 1" to be my current work email instead of the personal gmail? I currently cannot update this email in the settings as it says the user already exists (me of course!). Will this work properly for all future clients sending me links to my work email or will it always somehow be linked to my old personal email?

Any help welcome 🙂

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Erin83, thanks for using Dropbox and welcome to the Community!

You're right that you won't be able to use the email address that's linked to your second account on your first one as long as it's being used. 

If you delete the second account indeed, you'll free up the email address and you'll be able to change your (first) account's email normally. 

Just make sure to download your files from the account you'll delete or share them with your other account before you actually delete the account. 

I hope this helps and please keep us posted on your progress, Erin. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?