cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We wish to block all UDP fragments from entering our network.

We wish to block all UDP fragments from entering our network.

hanky
New member | Level 2

We wish to block all UDP fragments from entering our network.  Dropbox LAN sync uses UDP port 17500 for discovery but I need to know the IP address that Dropbox is using so I can add it to an exception list to allow UDP fragments through.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@hanky wrote:

We wish to block all UDP fragments from entering our network.  ... but I need to know the IP address that Dropbox is using so I can add it to an exception list to allow UDP fragments through.

Hi @hanky,

There is no need to handle in any special way Dropbox UDP packets. 🙂 You may block all of them since they never get in or out of your LAN (that's why LAN Sync); just don't prevent them to flow locally. The IP address in use is the same any other discovery service uses - your local broadcast address. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

PS: local broadcast address: Let's say your machine IP address is 192.168.0.10/24 (e.g. IP mask 255.255.255.0). In such a case your discovery/broadcast IP address is 192.168.0.255 if you need it at all. Simple, right?! 😜

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@hanky wrote:

... I need to know the IP address that Dropbox is using so I can add it to an exception list to allow UDP fragments through.

I doubt they'll publish that information here, and I doubt it's a single IP address anyway. You can find a list of the official domains that Dropbox uses here, and you can find other information on the IP ranges that Dropbox uses with a search of the net.

Your best option, however, would be to analyze the traffic on your own network to determine what IP ranges your clients are connecting to.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@hanky wrote:

We wish to block all UDP fragments from entering our network.  ... but I need to know the IP address that Dropbox is using so I can add it to an exception list to allow UDP fragments through.

Hi @hanky,

There is no need to handle in any special way Dropbox UDP packets. 🙂 You may block all of them since they never get in or out of your LAN (that's why LAN Sync); just don't prevent them to flow locally. The IP address in use is the same any other discovery service uses - your local broadcast address. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

PS: local broadcast address: Let's say your machine IP address is 192.168.0.10/24 (e.g. IP mask 255.255.255.0). In such a case your discovery/broadcast IP address is 192.168.0.255 if you need it at all. Simple, right?! 😜

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?