cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invite a non-user to Transfer 9Gb to my folder regularly

Invite a non-user to Transfer 9Gb to my folder regularly

paulo88
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a specific need:

I wish to upload a 9GB folder of 3 files each week to my client. My client has a paid DB account and sends me a link to his folder. But there is a 2GB limit.

How can he best achieve this simply and reliably?  I am on a free DB account with a 5GB limit. I don't wish to upgrade my account as I never use DB.

I have found the DB help less than helpful so would appreciate some insight as to the best method.  So far WeTransfer looks the best method!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@paulo88 wrote:

My client has a paid DB account and sends me a link to his folder. But there is a 2GB limit.

When you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of the folder in your account, so you're limited to the space available in your own account. If the owner of a folder has a paid account with a lot of space but you only have 2GB of space available, you'll still be limited to 2GB because that's all your account can hold.

I wish to upload a 9GB folder of 3 files each week to my client.

If your client is on the Professional plan, ask him to send you a File Request instead. You'll be able to upload files directly to his account without the files taking up space in your own account. Professional accounts can receive files up to 50GB in size.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@paulo88 wrote:

My client has a paid DB account and sends me a link to his folder. But there is a 2GB limit.

When you're a member of a shared folder, you have your own copy of the folder in your account, so you're limited to the space available in your own account. If the owner of a folder has a paid account with a lot of space but you only have 2GB of space available, you'll still be limited to 2GB because that's all your account can hold.

I wish to upload a 9GB folder of 3 files each week to my client.

If your client is on the Professional plan, ask him to send you a File Request instead. You'll be able to upload files directly to his account without the files taking up space in your own account. Professional accounts can receive files up to 50GB in size.

paulo88
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks. Tried that, but upload took a very long time. We reverted to WeTransfer - quicker and simpler
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

paulo88 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?