cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox uploads extremly slow?

Dropbox uploads extremly slow?

Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox since the first time using it has been incredibly slow. I tried to upload a folder (drag & dropped all the files from the folder) onto the dropbox website.

This folder was around 50mb, I have a 20 mbps on average connection. This should of taken around 2.5 seconds to upload, instead Dropbox website tells me 6 days?

6 days to upload 60mb? I'm sorry but what is this? It then went down to say 3 hours, which still is around 100x the speed it really shoudl take, it should be taking about 60 seconds, very maximum.

Using the dropbox app from desktop is no better, not much anyway. It'll sync the files at the same sort of speed. I can't find anything in settings about data caps, is Dropbox capping me?

I don't understand why this is happening. Google drive and I'm uploading 2GB films in minutes.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropbox uploads extreemly slow?

Dropboxer

Additionally, what is the upload speed for your connection, since usually it is much lower than the average download speed? There is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47

Explorer | Level 3

What makes this worse is that the folder was actually 30mb, not even 60mb. It consists of 6,999 files. Am I doing something wrong?

Dropboxer

Additionally, what is the upload speed for your connection, since usually it is much lower than the average download speed? There is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Helpful | Level 6

I don't use the desktop application and this just sucks for a service i pay for , it changes are nto made i'll be cancelling this service 

Dropboxer

Hi @awesomeafrican, you can check if this is related to your internet connection or device by trying another device on the same WiFi network, or by using a device on a different network entirely.

If the speed improves in either case, then the original device is experiencing issues, or the network itself isn’t working at its full bandwidth, respectively.

If you’re only using the browser to upload files, try another browser as well to see if this helps. Hope this info assists you in some way!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6

No it's not a bandwith issue, i encounter the same issue on every browser and only with Dropbox, if i was using Google drive or WeTransfer, no issues, the uploads blaze through, it really frustrating pay for a service that i can't use, figured i'd let you know so that you can understand why  i'll be leaving, also you are taking away features that  i used to have access to  in an attempt t push people into the more expansive pro plan, thank but no thanks 

Dropboxer

Are you accessing the Dropbox site from the same network connection, or does this occur regardless of network or ISP connection?

Regarding features you’re going to be missing, as you mentioned you’re on a paid plan, could you clarify which features you’re referring to, and what plan you’re currently on? Thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6

It happens regardless of where i'm accessing from ,you keep trying to imply it's a network issue and it's not, like i said earlier i use other services, Google drive and Wetransfer and never have any issues, my other phtographer friends have had the same complaints.

As for features, i used to  be able to create and share a link to my files that allowed the person i shared with to edit the files, now i can only send a read only link, i think that information should tell you what plan i'm on .You can't be taking away features , have horrible upload and download times and expect users to stay . Fix the issues and stop blaming networks that people use. 

Dropboxer

Apologies for the delay in replying. Have you tested uploading files to your account online using different devices as well to ensure it isn’t specific to that one? Are you uploading via a desktop browser or mobile device?

Regarding the feature, currently, there isn’t an option to create a shared link which will allow users to edit your files, regardless of the plan you’re on.

The only exception to this would be for Google docs created and saved in Dropbox, which does have this option.

Are you perhaps referring to shared folders? You would send an invite to a user and they would add the folder to their account, allowing them to edit files within that folder itself. This is available for all plans.

If not, please could you let me know more details about this feature. 

Keep me posted!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6

Good morning,

I am having the same issue with my new comptuer that is trying to sync with dropbox and downloading all of the online files to my local computer.  

Running a speed test my internet connection is 400mbps download and 40mbps upload.

The dropbox app on my Windows 10 computer is download the sync files at kb speeds.

Other computers on the same network don't have an issue.

The Bandwidth setting is set for Don't Limit" the connetion.

Not sure how to solve this issue.  Current plan is Personal 3TB.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?