cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto download linked files

Auto download linked files

Lars-SM
New member | Level 2

We have a rather huge Dropbox team folder so our default setting is to keep files only in the cloud, but with the entire Dropbox as a local "shadow copy" (don't know what it's called). I work with graphics and video and mostly with Adobe apps on a Mac. Mac OS, Adobe apps and Dropbox are all latest versions.

Problem 1. Now if I open an InDesign document from the Finder, Dropbox will download the document and it will open in Indesign. If I open a document from within the Open-dialog in Indesign, Dropbox will not download the file. A right-click + Make available offline is then required before selecting Open. Can I make Dropbox auto-download the requested file when opening?

Problem 2. After opening an Indesign document, all linked files in that document will come with a warning, as they are not downloaded. As of now (march 2023, DP v. 170.4.5895) I have to manually relink/download each file … which is less than elegant. Is there a way to make Dropbox automatically download all linked files to an Indesign, AfterEffects and Premiere document?

Problem 3. This problem probably doesn't belong in this section, but it needs to be repeated as it seems to never be fixed. The Mac Finder contextual Dropbox menu drops out from time to time. Sometimes it appears after waiting a bit. Sometimes not. And it always drops out closing on deadlines!!!

Other than that, I love Dropbox! 😃

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Lars-SM, sorry to hear you're having issues with this and thanks for joining our Community.

Your query seems to echo this discussion - could you have a look and confirm if that's case?

In regards to the first two issues you outlined in your message, it sounds like you're working with online only files most of the times and since these aren't the actual files, but rather placeholders which don't take up space on your computer's hard drive. 

In that case, you'll need to make the files you're working with available offline before working with them on InDesign or other 3rd party apps. 

When it comes to the 3rd issue you mentioned, note that this can be sometimes solved by refreshing your Finder or rebooting your computer.

If you  happen to have 3rd party apps running on your computer that could be monitoring your files though, you might also want to have a look at this discussion too.

I hope this helps, Lars. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?