cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zero bytes when copying

zero bytes when copying

Laurie P.4
Helpful | Level 6

When I copy "online only" files to my mac or external drive, they SEEM to copy but they do not.  So I have hundreds of "ghosts" on my mac drives. I need to search and destroy them because it's beyond frustrating to open what LOOKS like a real file to discover that it is ZERO BYTES and doesn't in fact exist.  What I'm trying to do is copy files from dropbox into an external drive keeping the dropbox files as backups. It isn't working. Copying isn't taking place. How can I copy files from dropbox without removing them??????????????   I saw an online answer that referred to a gear and "permissions." There is no gear and no permissions when I open dropbox on my mac. 

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Laurie P.4, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you move the files to the external drive, do you give enough time for the Dropbox desktop application to download those files in full?

Does this occur for all files, or only those with a cloud icon on them in Finder?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?