cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot see my new folder, in the Dropbox folder

I cannot see my new folder, in the Dropbox folder

debattwg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I created a new folder and shared it with a newly created group. The folder and its subfolders and files are visible using Dropbox.com, but not using File Explorer in the desktop app. I checked the folder name and file names for incompatible characters. I re-shared the folder with the group. Still not able to see it in the desktop app.

Another mystery is that under "Who Can Access" for this folder, it has "Parent" whereas all of our other folders have "xxx (number of) Members".  I have searched on Help and in the community but have failed to find any guidance about 1) what a Parent is, and 2)why this folder alone is accessible only to whatever a Parent is.

Help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

debattwg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, I called the help line and got it resolved. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jackson
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello there, @debattwg, thank you for posting in the Community. 

Parent is the folder, which contains that folder which you cannot see. By default, it has the same permissions as the parent folder.

Could you tell me, if you can see that folder in your home page, or only in the content tab?

Is the Dropbox icon, present near your clock on your system tray? If so, what do you see when you hover over it?

Please let me know!

Jackson
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

debattwg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jackson,

I can see the new folder both in the Home page and in the content tab on the admin console.

When I hover over the icon in my system tray, I see "Dropbox (my company name)." When I open it, it goes to C:\Users\my user name\Dropbox (my company name).

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @debattwg, sorry to jump in here!

I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon. It would be on the task bar, next to your WiFi and date and time icon. Once you do this, could you hover your mouse there and let me know what the status of the Dropbox Desktop application is? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

debattwg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, I called the help line and got it resolved. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

debattwg Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jackson Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?