cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Icon on Desktop

Missing Icon on Desktop

PEC-1
New member | Level 2

Hello, I am running windows 10 on my desktop computer. Before I upgraded to 10, the Dropbox icon was on my desktop, but it is not there now. Dropbox appears to be working just fine, but to access it I must go online to the Dropbox site and log in. I'm using the free version of Dropbox. I've looked on both my C: drive and in Programs and Features in the Control Panel and the Dropbox program is not listed as being downloaded into my computer. I've tried going to the Dropbox website and reloading the free program, but all it does is open my existing program. I can't remove the existing program from my computer, because it doesn't seem to be on my computer, or at least I haven't been able to locate it. The icon is not on the Taskbar or in the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" in the Notification area of the Taskbar. Does anyone know how to solve this issue? I really like Dropbox, but this is a seriously aggravating problem. 

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PEC-1, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you sure that the Dropbox desktop icon isn't visible in the system tray, as you mentioned it's still syncing normally?

Could you attach a screenshot showing this area, and also for the Dropbox folder showing the syncing icons on them?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PEC-1
New member | Level 2

This problem may be due to my computer having crashed several months ago. I now have the same computer, but with a new hard drive and operating system (Windows 10). I received a pop message from Dropbox last week when I tried to re-download Dropbox to this computer that said something to the effect that I have Dropbox loaded on 3 machines, and therefore can not download it again. However, this is not true. I have Dropbox loaded on two machines, this one and my other machine at work.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @PEC-1, I hope you don’t mind me jump in. 

Can you send over a screenshot of what you see in your system tray, like Jay suggested?

Also, if you open your local Dropbox folder, do you see any syncing icons next to your files/folders?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    PEC-1 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?