cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstall computer

Reinstall computer

sbp2023
New member | Level 2

Hi everybody.

Im going to reinstall my Mac because it's really old. I got my dropbox on the computer. If the dropbox is deleted when reinstalling, is it save in the cloud or should I copy my dropbox to an external hard drive?

/Sandra

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

maher1982
Super User

Hi Sandra,

When you reinstall your Mac, the Dropbox application will be removed from your computer. However, your files and folders stored in the Dropbox cloud will remain safe.
After reinstalling your Mac, you can simply download and install the Dropbox application again. Once you sign in to your Dropbox account, your files will start syncing back to your computer.

It is a good idea to check if all your Dropbox files are synchronized and up to date before reinstalling your Mac. This will ensure that you have the most recent versions of your files stored in the Dropbox cloud.
To check the synchronization status of your Dropbox files, simply open the Dropbox application on your Mac. You should see a green checkmark next to each file or folder indicating its synchronization status.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can create a backup of your Dropbox folder on an external hard drive before reinstalling your Mac. This will ensure that you have an additional copy of your files in case anything goes wrong during the reinstallation process.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

maher1982
Super User

Hi Sandra,

When you reinstall your Mac, the Dropbox application will be removed from your computer. However, your files and folders stored in the Dropbox cloud will remain safe.
After reinstalling your Mac, you can simply download and install the Dropbox application again. Once you sign in to your Dropbox account, your files will start syncing back to your computer.

It is a good idea to check if all your Dropbox files are synchronized and up to date before reinstalling your Mac. This will ensure that you have the most recent versions of your files stored in the Dropbox cloud.
To check the synchronization status of your Dropbox files, simply open the Dropbox application on your Mac. You should see a green checkmark next to each file or folder indicating its synchronization status.

If you want to be extra cautious, you can create a backup of your Dropbox folder on an external hard drive before reinstalling your Mac. This will ensure that you have an additional copy of your files in case anything goes wrong during the reinstallation process.

sbp2023
New member | Level 2

Hi. Thank you for a really useful answer!

I think I will do both - synchronize and backup.

/Sandra

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sbp2023 New member | Level 2
    maher1982 Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?