cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can access all files on one laptop, but not the other (not supported/no access)

Can access all files on one laptop, but not the other (not supported/no access)

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

Hello

I got two laptops that are both connected to the same dropbox account. On one laptop I get full access but on the other I can't open files created on the first laptop. I can open folders and I see content but I have no access to the files....... What to do?

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II

Why dont you have access? Whats the error/what does it say etc.?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

Sometimes it will say file not supported and other times it will say I do't have access to the file.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @OleSjurdal! The files that you mention, are they shared with anyone else, or were they all created by you on the other laptop? 

Also, what type of files are we talking about? Can you send me an example screenshot of what you see on your end? 

That would really help. Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

I created the files myself on laptop 1 and stored them in a folder that i createt from laptop 1.

From laptop 2 I can open folders and see the files but not open the files.

On picture files (Gif, PNG etc) I get error message "file format not supported og file damaged"

On Visio files I get "Internal error :#3400, Action 128 open file"

On PDF files I get "There was an error opening this file. No access to the file"

On Excel files i get "Can't open the file because it is void. Check that it is not damaged"

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

OleSjurdal_0-1707134673054.png

Mark
Super User II

Based upon that image there is another program or tool also accessing the files - my guess is OneDrive (the logo on the file icon isnt a Dropbox one). 

Take the files/folders out of the other syncing tools folders and it should work. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

I Can't find any connection to one drive or other plattforms. I don't use those...... I can access fils online from laptop 2. But not from "file explorer" 

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

OleSjurdal_0-1707138533856.png

The folder is in the dropbox ......

OleSjurdal
Explorer | Level 3

The same folder on laptop one

OleSjurdal_1-1707138685869.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OleSjurdal Explorer | Level 3