cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect search results.....again!

Incorrect search results.....again!

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10

I am horrified to think that there is another search problem.  Once again, responsive files are not appearing in search results on both the Dropbox website AND the Dropbox iPhone app.

I do not want to go through months of sending screenshots to prove the issue but will if asked.

If there is an issue, someone please just say so and let us know the timeline for fixing it.

Thank you,

Judith

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @amcoffice, thanks for reporting this here! 

Based on the status page, and provided that you're the first to report it, I believe this might be an individual incident. 

In any case, let's have a look. Does this happen with all of your files, or just some individual ones? 

I'd love to see some screenshots too, if you have any.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10

Q: Does this happen with all of your files, or just some individual ones?

A: Problem with incorrect or incomplete searches is that you don't know it's a problem until you're searching for a file you absoutely know is there.  I just noticed it today on Dropbox webiste and on Dropbox iPhone app with documents uploaded or renamed today.  

Screenshots:  I took a bunch.  How do I send them?

Thank you for your help,

Judith

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @amcoffice, a screenshot would definitely be most helpful.

You should be able to click the camera-like icon Screenshot 2024-02-16 3.24.52 AM.pngand attach it here. However, in some cases you might need to use a desktop to do that, or at least the desktop version on your browser while using your mobile.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

amcoffice
Collaborator | Level 10

Searches appear to be working now, but screenshots attached show the search problem from

yesterday.  (For some reason, got "Error Code: Upload Failed" on two jpeg screenshots re: iPhone searches 😕 let me know if I need me to send those a different way.)

Issue is having to guess whether any search results are reliable versus knowing they are incorrect/incomplete because you happen to know of a known responsive document that is not in the search results.

All help and input is welcome, especially as to the cause of the bad search results and any way to avoid them in the future.

Thank you,

Judith

2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.30pm 1a receipt front window no results.png2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.30pm 1b receipt front window exists.png2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.35pm 1a responsive receipt not in search.png2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.35pm 2a 2015-02-15 receipt file exists.png2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.35pm 3a 1999 in Doxie Transfers folder no results.png2024-02-15 Dropbox Bad Search 4.35pm 3b 1999 file exists in Doxie Transfers folder.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @amcoffice, thanks for the screenshots! 

Since everything is now working as it should, I'd assume it was a momentary glitch, that resolved itself. 

It doesn't sound -based on everything that you described- that you did something to have caused it, and it's indeed weird that you noticed it in both the website, and mobile app. 

In any case, if this happens again in the future, all you'd need to do would be to jump in here, and let me know, and we'll do our best to locate why this might be happening. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    amcoffice Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?