cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone can hack my shared link to download the pdf file that has been disabled download permission

Someone can hack my shared link to download the pdf file that has been disabled download permission

ydeniro
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Recently, I sent a shared link of one pdf file of mine to someone.  When I created this shared link, I have disabled the download permission for this file.  However, the guy told me that he has found out a way to hack the link and been able to download my pdf file anyway.  But he just didn't want to tell me how he did so.  

I just wonder if there is any way you are aware of out there the people can do so to the shared link file with download permission disabled?  I googled around and saw some discussion on Reddit talking about this by inspecting into the source code of the dropbox page.  

Is this a way to work this around?  If so, how to resolve this matter.  This becomes an urgent issue for me now. 

Thanks!

Yang

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@ydeniro wrote:

I googled around and saw some discussion on Reddit talking about this by inspecting into the source code of the dropbox page.

The simple fact is that if you can view something online, it can be downloaded. That's just how the Internet works. In fact, in order to be able to view anything online, it's downloaded to your computer (stored in your browser's cache), so there really is no way of stopping it completely. There will always be ways around it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?