cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some folders not showing in the selective sync list - online

Some folders not showing in the selective sync list - online

Ronalda
Explorer | Level 3

Hi All

My dropbox account has more than enough space and the characters I'm using are all 'normal'.

I made contact with dropbox and they told me it's because dropbox can not sync more than 300 000 files at a time/total.

So with trial and error I selected nothing in the 'selective sync' option and still I have the same problem of folders not showing on the 'selective sync' option list. I bought additional 1TB, uninstall, re-installed etc and still no improvement. 

please help, what am I missing.

13 Replies 13

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @Ronalda, I hope you're doing well!

If I understand what you mentioned correctly, it seems you need to remove some folders off of your Dropbox folder, however they're not apparent when you're trying to selectively sync them, am I right on this?

If not, please feel free to correct me here. Now, I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon, on the menu or task bar, next to your WiFi and hover your mouse there. 

That should give you the version of the app that you're using on your end. Any screenshots you have on your end, that'll help me visualize what you mentioned, are also welcome. 

Thank you, and keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ronalda
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan Thank you for your reply. I was on the live chat this morning with someone and long story short is that I can not have more than 300 000 files on Dropbox even though I have plenty of space 3TB. Unfortunately I have to move everything to a different icloud storage space other than Dropbox. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Ronalda, could you share your ticket number reference with me, please? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Ronalda
Explorer | Level 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the ticket number, @Ronalda

I’ve located it and left an internal note with your convo here, as well. 

It’s true that the desktop app may encounter issues if it syncs locally more than 300k files. However, on your web account, you can store as many files as you want, as long as you have enough storage.

If you tried to use selective sync though and faced any issues along the way, please let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Ronalda
Explorer | Level 3

HI Nancy

Thank you for your reply. 

That is how I understood it as well. I actually deselected everything in my selective sync list and only selected one folder and deselect the sub folder and still did the the list not update with all the folders. This what is issue is all about. 

We did everything if you see the tread of the ticket. I really don't want to move to a different cloud storage space. I you could help that would be great but I have to get this resolved asap as it's a big concern and risk to run a business where folder are currently not being backed up. 

Thank you

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Ronalda, sorry to jump in here.

This is quite unusual, so initially the folders did exist in your Dropbox folder, right?

Then you used selective sync to remove them, but now that you're trying to add them back, some of your folders do not show up in the list of folders to check in your selective sync settings, correct?

Sorry to ask again, I'm just trying to better understand the issue at hand, to make sure we give you the right info.

In the meantime, if you haven't already, can you restart your computer as well, to refresh your file explorer and see if that helps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Ronalda
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hanna 

Thank you for your email and prepared to help.

ok so I have many files -Private files on dropbox but only 1 folders synced to one computer which is my companies server with the the project folders in it.

So everyone in the office has access too the server and it will sync to dropbox automatically.

The other day i accessed dropbox via my phone and released that not all the folders 'projects' in this Main company folder was up to date.

This is where I started to investigate. 

At this stage we use 1.7TB of space out of 2TB and I bought additional 1TB to see if it will sort out the sync issue but didn't.

I've been in contact with a few live chats with dropbox people and tried tried numerus options but nothing is helping.

The main issue is that the main company folder has more subfolders in than what the preference list shows on dropbox. I actually deselected all the subfolders in this main folder to check if its the 300k file issue but even with that option the list didn't update with an empty folder I called 123testing.

Now I have projects on dropbox and some on the server. Other projects that has been worked on is also on the server and will have to sort over a 100 projects by hand to sort out this mess due to dropbox don't update the sync. 

We tried to restart, uninstall, reinstall, switching Preference 'early releases' option on and off etc. Nothing seems to work.

Dropbox shows that all folder are up to date but it is not. As if it reached a limit and stopped syncing. But then again why is my deselect and empty folder test not working with 1 empty folder and the presence folder not up to date even if nothing is synced.

Please assist as my IT guy is coming today to  transfer everything to OneDrive which I don't want to do but have no option as I can't run my business without backing up our work.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional info here, Ronalda.

Just to make sure that we're looking at the correct path, can you please click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, then on your initials/profile pic and then on the folder icon there?

This should take you to your Dropbox folder; can you check if the missing folders are there perhaps?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jeffneet New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Ronalda Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?