cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Links to Word Templates won't open

Links to Word Templates won't open

PEL User
Explorer | Level 3

I would like to put a link to the appropriate word template into asana for team members to use but while word .docx files open in a preview with an open menu that allows them to be opened in Word so they can be edited, when I put a link to our .dotx files it opens to a preview but open button doesn't have any options so it can only be downloaded or previewed but not directly edited in word.  Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @PEL User, thanks for joining our Community.

Are these .docx files in your Dropbox account?

How are you creating the links?

Can you send us a few screenshots or maybe a list of steps you're following for this process, so we can have a better visual?

Thanks in advance!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PEL User
Explorer | Level 3

I have done the Asana Dropbox Integration so that when I go to comment on a task there is a paperclip icon and when I hit that it takes me to my dropbox menu and I select the item off that.  I have also tried going on to Dropbox online and requesting a link copying that and pasting it into the asana task description box.  Either way the link opens in dropbox online but as read only unless I download it.  the button for "open" is there but there aren't any options once you hit it the way there are for .docx documents which it allows me to open in Word on my computer or online.  Only happens with .dotx files but those are the templates I would like to integrate into our asana roapmaps so its a pain to have to have users download them each time rather than just open them. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @PEL User

It sounds like this is expected behavior, as .docx/.doc files can be opened via Word for the web. However, you can perhaps look for a third-party app that could help you do this, after integrating it with Dropbox. 

I also found this article which may help.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    PEL User Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?