cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Alert & Admin Approval for New Free Accounts Opened Using Corporate Email Addresses

Email Alert & Admin Approval for New Free Accounts Opened Using Corporate Email Addresses

snthennumbers
Explorer | Level 3

We need a way to prevent people from opening new, free Dropbox accounts using their corporate email address.  We have no way to prevent a staff member from creating a Dropbox account with their corporate email, and then sharing out whatever they want, to whomever they want. If we're able to get email alerts stating something to the effect of "A new Dropbox account was opened using an email address that matches your corporate domain, someone@yourdomain.com" that would be very useful to allow us to better police this Data Loss Prevention avenue. In addition and/or alternatively, if there was a mechanism where a Dropbox corporate admin is required to approve that new account, that would also be incredibly useful.

Frankly I am surprised something like this does not exist currently, as corporate entities typically are required to have Data Loss Prevention (DLP) mechanisms in place, yet Dropbox does not provide such monitoring even with Enterprise plans. I am aware that Dropbox currently provides a list of people who meet this criteria (i.e. who have created free accounts using their corporate email, but that are not linked to the Corporate Dropbox plan), however that list must be manually reviewed and documented so that any changes to that list are captured. This creates unncessary overhead on our end to police this in a way that Dropbox should be allowing us to police to begin with.

1 Reply 1

Mark
Super User II

I'm not a DfB customer so I cannot test this @snthennumbers , however, does this help at all? https://help.dropbox.com/account-access/domain-insights-account-capture

Not sure if it works in realtime or its a one time capture type thing whenever you check it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?