cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there Ransomware protection by preventing the app from syncing?

Is there Ransomware protection by preventing the app from syncing?

el Manu
New member | Level 2

I'm using a dropbox drive,
I got infected by a ranconware while I was offline.

I found out I was infected because Dropbox "to be uploaded" icone started to appear quickly on all my files/sub since I was offline...
I happen that all my files now had the same modification date and where now unreadable!

let's say Dropbox helped me quickly stop the dammage;) Thanks

But I'm worry it might happen again! And it made me realise using permanent file synccing was a bad Idea!
Because, once a file is infected by my computer, it will spread through dropbox sync to others.

With sharepoint i'm making a temporary network drive using Https link for the time I'm working on a specific folder point. After the work is done, I'm disconected and protected!

Do you have a way to do the same thing! Localise connections!

Thanks for your help

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @el Manu, thanks for posting today!

Currently, there isn't a feature similar to what you're looking for with Dropbox, since the syncing is on by default. You can temporarily (or permanently) pause syncing, however, this might not suit your needs. 

Another possibility is simply only having the Dropbox desktop application open an running when you want to sync files, and once that is complete, quit the app entirely until the next time.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?